Newly Certified... who to dive with???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not suggest a new diver to experience any destination via cruise ship.
This is not the best way to enjoy a learning experience. AKR- Anthoney Key resort would be in my opinion the best experience if you really decide to go via ship

Hit CocoView for the day! We did that during our cruise and had a great time. As you're new to the resort (as well as diving) a DM will go out with your on your first dive (for orientation). Then if you want/need an additional DM guided dive you could hire one out then. Good luck!

I have been emailing Cocoview to ask several questions, but I can't seem to find out whether or not the DM does the orientation on one of the dives that we book, or whether it is a completely seperate dive, solely for the purpose of doing the orientation?

Also, does a DM accompany us on the dives that we book, whether they are beach/shore dives or boat dives? Or are we pretty much on our own if we do the shore dives? Can we hire a private DM for a fee?

Thanks

Anthony's Key Resort has a great operation, you will be met at the dock by their bus and taken to their excellent run dive op. They definetely have some of the smartest dive boats. Most of the DM's are local guys with loads of experience (they tend to keep their staff around for a long time) and they will certainly take very good care of you.

Good decision not to go for the shark dive, it is an Advanced dive. Most of the dive shops in West End, that offer the shark dive, will only book it for customers whose dive abilities they are familiar with. Also the South side is a lot rougher than the North side. It's not a good option if you only have one day.

The diving in the Marine Park sounds more like what you are looking for. Which is on the West/North side of the island. Lots of turtles, very rarely sharks! The corals whilst still very healthy in many spots, may not be quite as spectacular as some South side sites. But you will see much more marine life. (AKR will take you to one of these dive sites)

West End is a sand beach road, dive community, dotted with dive shops, restaurants, Central American souvenir shops. West Bay has the most beautiful beach on the island, it does become much busier on cruise ship days. But that is usually down at the far end by Infinifty Bay. Some of the best dive sites are right off the shore.

Most of the dive ops in West End/Bay will provide you with a very enjoyable, safe dive experience. Unlike the AI's like Cocoview, FIBR, and AKR most of your dives will be lead by a PADI qualified “Instructor” with local knowledge of the dive site. The comment that you will not be looked after properly is very pessimistic! The standard of safety and customer service in West End/West Bay is very high. Go onto the PADI website, search the dive shops and see which one appeals to you, some of them cater to cruise ship arrival/departure times. They will usually have a separate button for Cruise Ship visitors.

Cocoview is a pretty hefty journey from the cruise ship dock, by the time you’ve got off the boat, thru the traffic, along the road to cocoview, onto another boat. I don’t see you making it in less than an hour, probably less coming back, but that’s almost two hours of your day travelling. It’s about a 20 minute drive to West Bay, West End or Anthony’s Key Resort. I am sure whatever decision you reach you will have a wonderful time on Roatan..

Thank you cocoloca! The shark dive does sound amazing, but like you said, seems to be geared towards advanced divers, despite the fact that I have read several threads and reviews which classify it as an easy dive, possibly for beginners. Perhaps if I can get in a few dives before my trip to Roatan, I will reconsider. On the other hand, do you have any recommendations for a dive operator on the west end?

Hi,

I decided when I joined Scubaboard, that I would try and keep my postings to info about Roatan and especially the diving in the Marine Park, as it seems severely unrepresented on Scubaboard, rather than plug dive ops. Jump in, take the plunge, Roatan is a great place, don't miss out on the diving there. Hubby PJ, lived in The Caymans for 6 yrs, before moving to Roatan 12 yrs ago. He said diving is much better here.

His words......."Yeah, you may see some cool **** out there, but on the West side of the island the wall does'nt start until about 89ft. Stingray Alley is a good dive, if you've never seen rays....but by now, it's gotta be pretty busy and very touristy"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom