Newly certified, going to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coz is great! I did some of my first dives there after getting certified. Like some of the others have said watch your air and depth. As a new diver if you are a guy, your profile does not say, you will probably go through air like a vacuum cleaner. If you can you may want to see about getting larger tanks 100+ cu ft. The SCUBA POLICE are not usually in Coz. to pull your Cert. if you go below 60 ft but it is very easy to get a lot deeper than you realize. On one of my last dives there I dropped down the wall to a little over 100 ft. just to say I had, but I could not tell the difference than when I was at 50 or 60 ft. If the swim throughs make you nervous just go over the top.
Diving in Coz is GREAT! There is so much to see and dive around and though.

I started diving Coz the year after I was certified (9 years ago) and I have about 40 dives there over the years out of a total of about 200. I suggest that you not shy away from deeper diving in the 80 - 90' range with a good dive guide, of which there are many. (My avatar photo is in one of the hammocks at Scuba Club Cozumel.)

The only dive which comes to mind that I would not want to take a newly certified diver on is Devil's Throat, which ends up at close to 130' and which I have seen seduce divers who (IMHO) had no business doing the dive.

Have fun and enjoy the great diving in Cozumel.

My $.02. As others have said, I don't think the 60 foot limit is a hard limit. Get comfortable at 60 and you'll find 70-80 isn't much different. I checked my dive log from SCC last night and I see that most of the wall dives max depth was 75-90 feet. My deepest dive was 93'.

Watch you air supply! You'll probably find you go through your air faster than more experienced divers. Make sure you buy a safety snausage (SMB).

Don't fight the current! It's a drift dive afterall. Duck down behind coral heads on top of the wall if you want to get out of the current.

The shore dives in Coz can also be a great change of pace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom