Newly certified - Diving while on vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you hit an operator and destination where they do a lot of occasional vacation divers, they may attempt to buddy you up some body, an 'instabuddy.' This person could be anywhere from a stickler to protocol who does detailed pre-dive buddy checks and anticipates diving within several feet of you at all times, or a 'same day, same ocean' buddy who figures if you're low on air you can swim over, get his attention and ask for his octopus.

It's likely the boat will provide a guide, who will lead the group around on a reef tour, perhaps point out an interesting creature like a moray eel or scorpionfish, then have you guys back at the dive boat at around the 45-minute mark. The guide may ask you to let him know when you're at a half-tank; some staff will ask you to communicate your remaining gas pressure periodically, and some won't.

In this scenario, you follow the guide as part of a group. If you are assigned a buddy, how much interactive emphasis and inter-relational conduct you guys engage in is up to the two of you. Some people consider it really important to have an assigned buddy, and some would probably rather skip that and just tag along with the group.

Depending on how often you plan on diving in warmer waters, you will not regret getting a DM for a couple of private dives to sort out buoyancy, trim, gear configuration, etc. This will increase your overall confidence in your skills and allow you to perfect the basics in a more structured way.

Thank you all for your advice. Looks like it'll be very location specific. I sent them an email and will further clarify with them when I get there as well to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

I would hire my own guide to be my buddy so I would have more headspace to focus on my own developing skills. They can help with equipment and take weight from you at the end of the dive while still in the water to get your weighting really dialed in. Once you know what your weighting is in salt water, thin wetsuit, and standard Al80 cylinder, then you have a known reference point to work from for your vacation dives, and the rest of your dives will go much easier.

I would hire my own guide to be my buddy so I would have more headspace to focus on my own developing skills. They can help with equipment and take weight from you at the end of the dive while still in the water to get your weighting really dialed in. Once you know what your weighting is in salt water, thin wetsuit, and standard Al80 cylinder, then you have a known reference point to work from for your vacation dives, and the rest of your dives will go much easier.
Glad to know that some dive shops offer stuff like this. Wasn't really sure what shops would be offering to be honest.

Much of the Caribbean caters to vacation divers. I was in the USVI a couple weeks ago and most of the people diving were vacation divers. The crew did a great job with briefings, we dived as a group, I had someone with me, so didn't have to be with an insta-buddy. For those diving alone, they were paired up with someone.

Diving for the first time in a new environment can be stressful. Do not be afraid or embarrassed to express all of your concerns with the crew. They are used to it and would prefer to know you are a newly certified diver.

Much of the Caribbean caters to vacation divers. I was in the USVI a couple weeks ago and most of the people diving were vacation divers. The crew did a great job with briefings, we dived as a group, I had someone with me, so didn't have to be with an insta-buddy. For those diving alone, they were paired up with someone.

Diving for the first time in a new environment can be stressful. Do not be afraid or embarrassed to express all of your concerns with the crew. They are used to it and would prefer to know you are a newly certified diver.
Glad to hear it, I'll definitely make sure the crew/DM are aware of my experience level/concerns when I get there.

Thanks!

I'm sure the procedure varies widely according to where you are (country, etc.). My experiences in the U.S. have all been they just make sure you are in buddy pairs and have a plan. In Panama there was a DM-lead group one day. I think many places will buddy you with a DM, possibly for an extra fee.

does that mean I need + ~6 lbs for an ocean dive?
I recently came across two resources for estimating how much weight you need.

This first one is basic and gives you a quick and easy answer that is pretty close (at least for me):

This second one allows you to dial in the exact weight you need with every variable you can possibly imagine:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom