Newly Certified Diver - Back Inflated BCD or Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes seatbelts works fine. I have it on my triples. All webbing softens over time...
I have even used 2inch ratchet strap material ..

Here's a skills demo in a jacket 3:25

A top diver can set up and dive most gear, particularly in benign conditions and when not task loaded.
That does not mean it is easy for a beginning or average diver to do that.

His point, that you can do it, is true. And that if you are not doing it well, you should get instruction on how to do it well. Which includes how to set up your gear. Which may take adapting the gear to take lead beyond just the integrated weight pockets or low trim pockets. Doing that is easier with some gear than with others.

Just slightly different from you bouncing around the board
like a ping pong ball spreading your knowledge
extolling your wonderful exploits

The one that has a problem with the way learning is presented is the one with the problem

His point, that you can do it, is true. And that if you are not doing it well, you should get instruction on how to do it well. Which includes how to set up your gear. Which may take adapting the gear to take lead beyond just the integrated weight pockets or low trim pockets. Doing that is easier with some gear than with others.

Well put MichaelMc. I have seen several videos pertaining to "busting the myth that jacket BCs suck". In these videos an expert demonstrates that he can do skills and be horizontally trimmed in a jacket BC. Now if you cannot get trimmed with the integrated weight pockets and the single low cam trim pockets what option do you have? There is nowhere else on the BC to put weight higher up. Contrast this with a BPW where the stainless steel is right where it should be and lots of options to put trim pockets high on the plate or upper cam bands.

So we put almost all beginners and rental customers in jacket BCs that suck and then complain that people are bashing the reef with their fins and are 45 degree divers. Bunch of hypocrites we are.

Back
Top Bottom