Newly certified and looking to dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

valleykat

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! I just got certified in Monterey last weekend and can not wait to get back in the water. All I need now are some buddies. Is anyone interested in diving at the Breakwater sometime in the next couple of weeks? :blinking:

Hi ValleyKat,

First and foremost let me congratulate you on such a wonderful accomplishment. I think you are going to find a ton of eager river rats that will want to join you as a buddy including me.

Breakwater is a great practice ground to get your skills updated and explore so much kelp life you will not tire comming back and back.

I am getting over a cold that zapped me over the weekend so if I perk up I was going to dive with Brandon known as Bianchi. He is an awesome spirited diving friend that is knowledgeable and very safe.

He likes to dive on Fridays since I believe he doesn't work on those days, if you are lucky you can get him on Sat or Sun.

Lets see if he pops up on this trail I think I baited it nicely, Brandon where are you?

MG

If you did your certification this past weekend in Monterey, everybody on this forum should bow when you go by! I taught an AOW class last weekend and had to think seriously about whether to put my students in the water when I saw the swells Saturday morning. I watched two different open water classes go down like bowling pins--including the instructors--when they tried to do their surf entries. One of the classes got hammered so badly they bailed immediately after picking up what gear they could that was scattered around the beach.

Bottom line: Last Saturday was about as bad as it gets around here. If you got certified in those conditions, and can't wait to get back in the water now, then I'd say you're golden! I'll be your dive buddy any time I can get free.

Bruce

If you did your certification this past weekend in Monterey, everybody on this forum should bow when you go by! I taught an AOW class last weekend and had to think seriously about whether to put my students in the water when I saw the swells Saturday morning. I watched two different open water classes go down like bowling pins--including the instructors--when they tried to do their surf entries. One of the classes got hammered so badly they bailed immediately after picking up what gear they could that was scattered around the beach.

Bottom line: Last Saturday was about as bad as it gets around here. If you got certified in those conditions, and can't wait to get back in the water now, then I'd say you're golden! I'll be your dive buddy any time I can get free.

Bruce

I was at the Breakwater on Saturday as well... It was a bit rough but really not that bad. Nothing you could not walk in or out of. I saw a small grey whale at 45 fsw between the end of the pipe and the metridium fields... So all I can say is: ya I'm really glad we didn't call it at the parking lot.

I'm pretty sure thing can get a lot worse than last Saturday.

To begin from one (now former) Fresno resident to another, congrats on getting certified! Also like Bruce said if you were in Monterey last weekend double congrats on hanging in there :wink:. I am planning on diving this Friday and possibly one day this weekend, if I can get solid plans. Not sure if you up to making that drive another weekend in a row but the conditions look much better.

Ill be out of commission a bit through the holiday season but should be back around in the beginning of the year.

I was going to DM an OW class at the Breakwater Saturday morning and I concur that it was nasty. Instructor cancelled the session, after watching the same bowling pin bashing administered to some other classes seen by zf2nt.

My hat's off to you for getting certified in those conditions and wanting to come back for more. You're going to be a great diver.

I watched two different open water classes go down like bowling pins--including the instructors--when they tried to do their surf entries. One of the classes got hammered so badly they bailed immediately after picking up what gear they could that was scattered around the beach.

We went in over by Wharf 2 - it wasn't too bad there. I only got knocked over once during my entry. :wink: The hardest part was definitely the surface swim out to our descent point - that and setting up our gear in the aroma of the dead seal 2 feet away.

I am planning on diving this Friday and possibly one day this weekend, if I can get solid plans. Not sure if you up to making that drive another weekend in a row but the conditions look much better.QUOTE]

If you go this Sunday I am totally in!

I am planning on diving this Friday and possibly one day this weekend, if I can get solid plans. Not sure if you up to making that drive another weekend in a row but the conditions look much better.
If you go this Sunday I am totally in!

Ill tentatively plan for this Sunday then. Ill shoot you a PM with my number and if you give me a call tomorrow we can firm up the times and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom