Newer Diver here looking for new gear advice?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFireDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all, I have done a couple dives after my OW classes. I think I'm ready to buy but stuck between 3 different brands. I tested with Zeagle, and used a buddies Sherwood products for 2 other dives. I haven't used Oceanic but the price is right, and have read awesome reviews.

Sherwood and Zeagle will be close to the same price for BCD, Computer, Reg and Alternate, While Oceanic seems like it might be a good $100-$300 cheaper.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

I think any of the 3 is a strong name brand.

Some Zeagle BCDs use a ripcord integrated weight release which some people strongly approve of and some people don't; I don't like the idea of having to re-thread the thing, but some people consider it more secure against accidental release. Your call.

Are you looking at 'all one brand package deals?' If so, can you tell us the specific models you are looking at for each product?

Richard.

Thanks for your response! I would like to stay within the same brand for all my products. The dive computer I will venture out. I have seen this Cressi Leonardo dive computer, but I haven't herd of that company before. Awesome reviews tho.

Oceanic.

Oceanpro BC
Alpha 9 Reg with FREE alpha 8 octo
2 gauge console. depth and Psi
Total= $780 from Scuba.com

Sherwood

Silhouette BC
magnum Reg
Burt Octo
2 gauge console. Depth and Psi
Total= $960 from Scuba.com

Zeagle

Scout BC
Envoy Reg and Octo
3 gauge console. Depth. Pis.Direction
Total= $980 from Scuba.com

Sorry no links. Working from my iPhone.

Some things to consider as a new diver before buying any gear.

1. What type of diving are you planning on? Occasional holiday, regular local, how much travelling around.

2. Think about what you might be doing a year or more from now as well. Do you have an interest in wrecks or caves or tech?

3. Will you be diving enough in the next few months to justify purchasing over renting?

Like you, I also looked at package deals when I was first starting out but after thinking long and hard about those three questions I ended up going a different route with my purchases. Suffice it to say, if I had gone with one of the packages, I would have replaced nearly all of it within 6 months.

I also put enough dives in on the gear in the first few months to cover rental fees 3 times over.

I don't think you would go to far wrong with any of those packages now, but I would advocate looking hard at how useful they will be to you later on.

just my $.02

Cressi Leonardo dive computer

Cressi is a pretty big brand. Both my father and I bought a lot of Cressi gear (regs, mask, snorkel, wetsuits, etc.) and love them all. I will say that every single dive shop I've encountered in Massachusetts and in Grand Cayman have nothing nice to say about Cressi. One of them was even a Cressi dealer. That makes me skeptical on purchasing more, but I have no complaints thus far. My dad has the Leonardo and likes it a lot but the 4 screws that hold the computer in the wrist strap are all rusting and began so with less than 10 dives on it. In defense of Cressi, he's not very good about washing his equipment. That said, I'd purchase it only if there's a Cressi dealer that can do warranty work nearby assuming all of their screws are prone to rusting..

Thank you for your input.

I'm going to be doing a lot of local dives, as well as some diving trips. I have 3 cruises booked within the next 6 months with3, 2 tanks dives each. So I would say I plan on using the equipment a decent amount.t

These were not package deal, I put the stuff together myself based on reviews and price. What did you end up buying, and why do you say your equipment wouldn't of lasted 6 months?

I do plan on becoming a tach diver within some time as I'm a local firefighter and would love to take that next step. But I can say it's not gonna be anytime soon.

Thank you again for your help.

Thanks for your response! I would like to stay within the same brand for all my products. The dive computer I will venture out. I have seen this Cressi Leonardo dive computer, but I haven't herd of that company before. Awesome reviews tho.

Oceanic.

Oceanpro BC
Alpha 9 Reg with FREE alpha 8 octo
2 gauge console. depth and Psi
Total= $780 from Scuba.com

Sherwood

Silhouette BC
magnum Reg
Burt Octo
2 gauge console. Depth and Psi
Total= $960 from Scuba.com

Zeagle

Scout BC
Envoy Reg and Octo
3 gauge console. Depth. Pis.Direction
Total= $980 from Scuba.com

Sorry no links. Working from my iPhone.

One thing to consider is the reputation of the manufacturer for post-sales support. Zeagle make some solid products, and I can personally vouch for their service and support. The nice thing about Zeagle's BCDs is that they are of a modular design, so you can mix-n-match parts for a custom fit. Also makes replacing damaged or worn parts a breeze too.

Scubatoys is a big Zeagle dealer and usually very good on pricing. They also used to give a discount for Scubaboard members; might check'm out.

Thank you for your input.

I'm going to be doing a lot of local dives, as well as some diving trips. I have 3 cruises booked within the next 6 months with3, 2 tanks dives each. So I would say I plan on using the equipment a decent amount.t

These were not package deal, I put the stuff together myself based on reviews and price. What did you end up buying, and why do you say your equipment wouldn't of lasted 6 months?

I do plan on becoming a tach diver within some time as I'm a local firefighter and would love to take that next step. But I can say it's not gonna be anytime soon.

Scuba is an expensive and gear intensive sport. I assume that "tach" diver means you want the go into "tech" diving. If that is the case, then spent your money, call it $1k, on getting a buoyancy package that will allow you to move in that direction.

I dive with a Ranger and am comfortable with it. No thought of going tech or using the Ranger for doubles. Great BC that has over 500 hours on it and going strong. Zeagle is quality equipment, just not where I would want to be if tech was my goal. Cutting to the chase, drop the Scout, you will sell it at 1/3 of what you spent to finance the BC you will need.

i had the fortune of falling in with a group of hard core tech and cave divers as regular dive buddies and after discussing what I wanted to do with my diving, I settled on bp/w, liquivision xeo computer, halcyon regs and wrist mounted compass.

Since I got my ow, I have moved on to twins, drysuit, gue fundies, into to deco, planning a cave course in jan and who knows what else.

while I have added to my gear and changed my setup to accomodate different levels of training, I still use all of my original gear and likely will continue to do so until the plate breaks.

if your're on a budget, I would look at HOG regs. Very inexpensive but great quality.

Cressi is a pretty big brand. Both my father and I bought a lot of Cressi gear (regs, mask, snorkel, wetsuits, etc.) and love them all. I will say that every single dive shop I've encountered in Massachusetts and in Grand Cayman have nothing nice to say about Cressi. One of them was even a Cressi dealer. That makes me skeptical on purchasing more, but I have no complaints thus far. My dad has the Leonardo and likes it a lot but the 4 screws that hold the computer in the wrist strap are all rusting and began so with less than 10 dives on it. In defense of Cressi, he's not very good about washing his equipment. That said, I'd purchase it only if there's a Cressi dealer that can do warranty work nearby assuming all of their screws are prone to rusting..

Awesome. Thanks for advice. Besides the rust on the screws how's the computer itself?

One thing to consider is the reputation of the manufacturer for post-sales support. Zeagle make some solid products, and I can personally vouch for their service and support. The nice thing about Zeagle's BCDs is that they are of a modular design, so you can mix-n-match parts for a custom fit. Also makes replacing damaged or worn parts a breeze too.

Scubatoys is a big Zeagle dealer and usually very good on pricing. They also used to give a discount for Scubaboard members; might check'm out.

Thanks!!

I have looked on there a couple times, and love how zeagle has a lifetime warranty on their equipment. So you have a Zeagle set up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom