Newbies need Bonaire weather and accomodation info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabike

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After years frequenting Cozumel, we are planning on a dive trip to Bonaire this fall. Our time window is from mid October to mid November. From what I can see, the weather doesn't vary much during that time. Also looking for a place to stay that is clean, safe, good location and inexpensive. I like the idea of a package with lodging, a truck and free nitrox upgrade. We are looking at Den Laman, Golden Reef and Buddy Dive. Please give us your ideas on weather and lodging!

After years frequenting Cozumel, we are planning on a dive trip to Bonaire this fall. Our time window is from mid October to mid November. From what I can see, the weather doesn't vary much during that time. Also looking for a place to stay that is clean, safe, good location and inexpensive. I like the idea of a package with lodging, a truck and free nitrox upgrade. We are looking at Den Laman, Golden Reef and Buddy Dive. Please give us your ideas on weather and lodging!

Warning! Once you go to Bonaire, you will never go back to Cozumel! :wink: The differences are astounding!

We did a package just like you are looking for at Buddy Dive. We couldn't have been happier! I have a video of the shore diving at the resort here:
Bonaire2007_Diving the house reef at Buddy's on Vimeo
Breakfast is buffet and included with room. We are big breakfast people so we loved that. The rental truck was in very good condition compared with some we saw on the island and the drive thru tank station was awesome! Unlimited nitrox free too. :D Once you work in all those things, plus the fact you are oceanfront, it really is a good deal staying there.

robin:D

GRI has a $399 special till Oct. 31st. Includes the truck, all shorediving and the room. Golden Reef Inn Resort--Specials If you want to be on the water, either of the other two choices would work. Personally I'd pick Den Laman over Buddys because I'm not a fan of big diveboats and lots of divers. And it's a lot newer, smaller resort. BD&A can only take about 6-8 max. But if you're mostly shorediving it's a wash.

I've read some people don't like their in-house diveop - Bonaire Dive & Adventure - but I did. We did a shore dive there with the naturalist on Bari Reef, my buddy also did the REEF fishcount. I also sat thru about 2/3rd's of their BMP orientation that morning while waiting, they did a much better job than our orientation from Toucan.

Aren't both Buddy and Den Laman well over $1000/wk? For that kind of $$ you might also look at BelMar condos in BelNem. It's a smaller property, full kitchen, newish, all the condos are right on the water (50' from the dive dock to our patio) - the other Buddy dive location is there. So you can use the Buddy drive-thru when diving north. No onsite restaurant there or within walking distance though.

With what you're asking for, I would choose Buddy Dive but they aren't the cheapest on the island. I only shore dive so I can't say anything about their boats but they do have a great house reef. Bob

I would choose Buddy Dive in my experience. Not the cheapest but quite good and the dive and drive package is fantastic. No extra cost for Nitrox.

I will be on island Oct 3-12 or so doing mostly photo of coral spawning but staying at a friend's condo this time instead of Buddy Dive. But will hang out at Buddy Dive much of the time.

Water temps in the 80's. Viz should be 75-100+ in most sites. Minimal currents except down south and up north.

Yes - once on Bonaire you may well not return to Cozumel. Better reefs and creatures. Far mor convenient diving with the shore diving access so fantastic. You can boat dive to Klein Bonaire and some less accessible shore sites. But I usually pick up boat dives ad hoc when I want to instead of buying a package. Often have not used all boat dives in the package.

ENJOY !!!!

I have stayed at all 3, just got back from Den Laman 2 weeks ago. I like the rooms at DL better than Buddys. Mainly because they are fully ACed rather than just the bed rooms and they are a little bigger. I may be a little biased twards Buddies dive op, I have dove with them for years and have good friends there but I am one of those that does not care a lot for BD&A. Mainly due to policies like locking up the nitrox at 4:30 and the air and equipment room at 9pm. And to be honest the "This dock is for our guest only" sign kinda irritates me as well, not the friendly attitude I love so much on Bonaire. If it were not for the nicer rooms and a little lower rates I would be at Buddys.
Staying off the water then GRI is a great choice. Lower cost, nice rooms and a great staff. If I am going with just the wife or a buddy, that is where I would go. Others in my party usually want to be on the water so I give in....not that they have to twist my arm a lot. :) The dive op they use, Wannadivebonaire is also great, you will not find more customer oriented folks than Bart, Rob and staff.

As for cost, my DL cost was around $670 pp for 4 in a 2br condo. That included taxes, unlimited nitrox and rental truck. We did ceral for breakfast and PBJ's for lunch most days.
All in all, you will not go wrong with either of them.

I'd say most of the above posters have good input. I've only stayed at Buddy, and had a good experience overall--not too expensive, not too shabby. Easy tanks, easy truck rental, on the water, etc. etc.

I'd add that I also found it very central for dive sites--halfway between the northern and southern sites, making it easy to go either direction each day.

GRI seems to be a highly thought-of option for less expensive accommodations, with stay-dive-drive packages, including breakfast as well. Just a couple blocks from the beach, as I understand it. It's on our short list for our group trip next year as well.

Good luck; enjoy Bonaire!

All good posts, and dead on. Including the Cozumel reference. We will be at the GRI and have stayed there before. Clean, inexpensive, good staff and their dive op was good. $400 pp how can you beat that.

I've stayed at GRI and Den Laman. It is hard to compare the two as they are very different.

GRI not on the water with no onsite dive shop/bar/restaurant. Wannadive did (not sure of current situation) deliver tanks right to the complex though. You could also pickup tanks at their other olcations. Parking right outside the room was very nice.

Den Laman is on the water and has BDA on site with a bar and restaurant. BDA does have limited hours which can be annoying if you don't prepare for it. The stairs can be tiresome if you are on the third floor. You cannot beat Bari reef for a convenient night dive.

Keep in mind that if you plan on doing 3 - 5 dives a day, you will not be in or near your room that much and once you get there you will likely be too tired to enjoy it much. If that is your plan then keep it basic and save your money for another trip. If you are planning on only a couple dives a day and then sitting on the deck/patio watching the water through a Brights bottle then spend the extra $$ for the nicer ocean front.

It is safe to say that you will find very few significant complaints about any of the more popular locations. They all have good and bad points. Once you are there you will realize it is more about the entire experience rather than just where you spend your 8 hour SI between the last PM and the first AM dive.

Wherever you stay, spend some of your off-gas day checking out some of the other places so you will be ready to book the next trip - yes there will be another.

Have a great time.

Yeah Kiss Coz goodbye..and I come from No California! Its a haul but worth it!

Good recs above as usual..you might look into Bonaire Oceanfront Apts..close to town and they use BD as the dive op? We rented a 3 bdrm villa last trip for 1050 and were happy with there services and package.The apartments are nice,nice pool,dive site acroos the street and a small dive shop for tanks,etc on property.Ive stayed at BD..liked it but it is a bit spendy for Bon..stayed at GRI..actually at one of the villas off site run by Liz..great too!
If price was not a concern I would stay at Harbour village.

Come to think of it you really cant go wrong..its all good!

You will love it!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom