Newbies are worthless!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM is absolutely brilliant in how she always answers the newb question first, and then expresses concern. I strive to be like that.

To me, TSandM is one of the few members who I really respect on this board. She seems to always have the right answer and say it in the right way. She has great insight and sensitivity to the situation being discussed. When reading any thread with lots of controversy and the next post is hers, I know I can expect a calm, rational and well-thought out post that is helpful without any of the ego. Great choice to be like that! ... and kudos to TSandM!

So tell me, what has a newbie done for YOU lately?

When I go out to Cali to dive the kelp forests, I will be one of them, it will be a new environment for me. I love diving with divers who are more experienced than me, I learn something new every time.

I love newbies. I have accompanied many a new diver on their first NC wreck dives and have plans to open the season with a few who will be paired with experienced buddies. Not only is it a delight to see my favorite underwater world open up to someone who ends up loving it as much as I do, but working with them and helping them sort through their learning needs reinforces that although I will always have much in front of me to learn, that I have learned a lot along the way already. And their questions keep me on my toes, and sometimes make me rethink a question or practice.

Just last month I was in Little Cayman. There was a new diver in our group who was a triathlete. His air consumption was very good, but although properly weighted, he had a hard time with buoyancy control. I found him on his safety stop fins up trying to maintain his position in the water. I caught his eye, and pantomimed a big exhale. He came right down and it was as if a lightbulb went off in his mind and he realized the power of his lungs. He did great for the rest of the trip and was able to work on his trim and ended the trip looking like...a diver.

I feel bad for people who need to put down others who do not possess the same body of knowledge that they do. They forget from whence they came. And must not get much satisfaction out of sharing what they know in a positive way. Diving is, at the end of the day, supposed to be fun. Not a pee pee contest.

Thank you for the kudos . . .

I love new divers with questions. First off, I love to write, and answering questions gives me an excuse to do it! Second, I enjoy both the enthusiasm and the thoughtfulness that comes through in many people's questions, as their curiosity drives them beyond what they were taught in their original, fairly minimal class. But I love curiosity and enthusiasm in general, and enjoy teaching.

I love stories, and I wish more folks would post dive reports. There are some fine writers lurking out there, and again, the wonder that shines through the reports of new divers is fantastic to read.

And I really like diving with new divers. You can show them ANYTHING -- purple starfish are still cool. And, for the most part, they're incredibly excited to get small tips on improving (whereas woe betide you if you try to say anything to the guy with 100 dives :) ).

I AM a newbie. Hopefully I'm contributing to the conversations I participate in without producing too much of the noise. That said, other newbs have been my dive buddies, inspired me to consider other dives/training and generally helped keep me interested in this great sport. They have also asked some fantastic questions here on scubaboard that have expanded my knowledge, which is always a good thing.

I don't dive to become a know it all. I dive because I like it and there is some cool s#%t to see down there. The more "adventurous", the Dive, the better. I don't have many dives but I do have shark, cavern, and night dives. No need to get hung up on the small stuff. It's a hobby to 99 percent.

The folks who chastise others for whatever reason should probably take an Internet time out. It becomes easy to be a completely different person on the interwebs than you would face to face.

I don't think this is the general attitude on Scubaboard. Sure there are a few annoying ones with egos bigger than the planet. But overall Scubaboard is still very helpful and a fun place to be. I started diving a year and a half ago (sure doesn't feel that long already) and I have asked a lot of questions here, some that I look back and shake my head at now. But the people here are very helpful. I have always had some really good answers here and I learned a lot from reading these forums. There are some I look specifically for their responses now. (Yes TS&M is one of them :) )

The internet is what it is. Sadly, there are some jerks, more so than in person of course. But Scubaboard is a really great community and I think a lot of newbies are able to look past a jerk or two and feel at home here.

Reactions: Jax
The fact is, I would rather dive with a "newbie " who still remembers their training and follows proper and safe dive practices, than with a more experienced diver who has forgotten much of what they learned or who knows less than they think they know. Teach and working with new divers requires experienced people to keep their skills up and knowledge current. New diver's questions give us a reason to think, analyze and respond to circumstances we perhaps have not encountered recently. As I read the comments on scubaboard, there are clearly those divers who have a certain attitude about their diving that is "me" focused and not always cordial. I prefer the posts that are exciting reports, interesting questions and positive, helpful responses. I was a newbie who had divers to answer my questions and help me grow. I like filling that role now, and I like other who do the same.
DivemasterDennis

I agree with Tammy, Bob, Lynne and those who talk about how enjoyable it is to help new divers learn. As a career educator, I got a charge out of seeing students learn in the classroom, and I enjoy the same thing as a scuba instructor and as a participant on ScubaBoard. It is similar to what some people have observed about why some people enjoy cave diving--you either feel the thrill of it or you don't. Those who don't feel enjoyment in helping new divers find their way will not understand the thrill it brings to those who do.

Cave Diver mentioned two common quotes, but there is a third that bugs me as well. It is the terse command to use the search function. Yes, by now nearly all the possible questions have been asked, but asking questions anew keeps the forum alive and worthwhile--otherwise it would be just retired as a tired old archive.

Last edited:
New divers keep this sport of SCUBA alive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom