Newbie wanting to learn to dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try Sea Colony with John Kiser . He comes to Key Largo every Spring and brings
the Mid-shipmen down to do their certification dives with us . He is located in Annapolis .
Enjoy learning how to dive !

Hey Bmorebirds-24, I'm in the area, too. With all the same questions, only, I didn't ask, I signed up for the OWD course on June 27th. I've done the academic portion and am about to start pool training. Almost same position as you, no one I know dives or is interested. I'm not worried about MD waters not being the most clear. I still think there's lots to see and explore...I have this wonderful idea of going into the water from ocean city just to see what I can see. And another about exploring the Baltimore reservoirs at night, though that will likely never happen(is legality really an issue?). I'm 35 and have wanted to dive for years, and just decided to get on with it instead of just thinking about it longer. If you end up getting into diving and still need a dive buddy, let me know.

Hey Bmorebirds-24, I'm in the area, too. With all the same questions, only, I didn't ask, I signed up for the OWD course on June 27th. I've done the academic portion and am about to start pool training. Almost same position as you, no one I know dives or is interested. I'm not worried about MD waters not being the most clear. I still think there's lots to see and explore...I have this wonderful idea of going into the water from ocean city just to see what I can see. And another about exploring the Baltimore reservoirs at night, though that will likely never happen(is legality really an issue?). I'm 35 and have wanted to dive for years, and just decided to get on with it instead of just thinking about it longer. If you end up getting into diving and still need a dive buddy, let me know.

Our situations couldn't be anymore alike from what I read.
What part of town are you in? Where did you sign up for your certification classes? I actually just stopped in the divers den today to get information.
I'm in the White Marsh area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BmoreBirds,

You've come to the perfect place to ask your questions.

Look for those names in GREEN and seek out their advice. Their names aren't green for no reason.

You will find a treasure trove of knowledge from them.

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !

the K

Hi Bmorebirds_24! I've been in a similar situation to you (30 years young, wanted to dive for ages but got put on the back burner because of lack of interest from others...) however I live in the UK so not really buddy material! I've just started a PADI Open Water Diver course at my local pool. It's a referral course so I do the classroom stuff/pool dives here and 4 open water dives away on holiday... possibly an option if you don't want to dive at home. It doesn't matter if you attend the course on your own as you'll get paired up with a buddy there, and I believe there are online networks for finding buddies for going on dive adventures with. So anyway, hope you take the plunge (sorry) as it's worth doing. Very strange at first but I bet it's amazing once you're in the sea!

Good gear is a must but Ill be straight forward one of the best investments is a good dive buddy. I started my dive path with my now ex who was really not good for much more then being a couch potato. But an older guy who I met through a dive group that later bummed out became one of my best dive buddies of all times.

Now we have a small group that we dive together and we are dedicated and allow outsiders to dive with us but it is what it is.

Now location is key to cost. I certified in Oklahoma where the visibility is crap most of the time but the cost is very reasonable. Under 200 dollars at the time I certified in many places here and I am a firm believer muck diving builds a better diver. Many salties will not dive our lakes but all muck divers almost will dive the salty waters :)

Get in there and have a great time and youll be glad you did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom