Newbie w/ camera questions :D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The G10 is a very competent camera but the T2i will be a lot more useful in the long run. Especially since video is one of the best ways to document a dive, much more useful to a scientist than still pics. The Ikelite housing is $1300 but you will be able to use it for a very long time. Depending on which strobe you have you will most likely be able to use it in manual mode for macro.
Check out blueviews.net for some macro shot with a variety of Canon bodies using the 60 or 100 mm macro lens.
Bill

I would also suggest housing the DSLR, if you think you will really get into underwater photography. Think about the DSLR and P&S you have already and how they are topside. They will be basically the same underwater. The image quality and control you have with the DSLR will be just as much better underwater.

For less than the cost of a DSLR housing, you could purchase an Olympus PEN E-PL1 micro four thirds camera (524 amazon) and an Olympus PT-EP01 housing (479 amazon and made by sea&sea).

I have a G11, which is pretty similar to your G10. While I agree with a lot of people here that that T2i is fantastic, and will probably make your dreams come true, I distinctly remember hearing you say something about fundage.

Personally, I would:

1) Shell out the massive $160 bucks for the Canon G10 housing (your mileage may vary on price, but they really don't cost that much).
2) Purchase a strobe that you *could* use later on the DSLR (I have a Sea&Sea strobe, which I like, but lots of people will disagree I'm sure).
3) Save up for a nice housing for the T2i, whereupon all your aforementioned dreams would be fulfilled.

You will be out about $160 if you decide to go with the rebel housing later on, but the advantage is that you can be taking pictures for quite some time between steps (1) and (3). I certainly wouldn't shell out for a more expensive housing for a G10 if I had a T2i waiting in the wings (nor would I buy a Pen, nice camera though it is, if I already had a G10 *and* a rebel sitting around), but I also wouldn't dive without a camera of some kind.

My 2c may be worthless though.

Dave

I have a G11, which is pretty similar to your G10. While I agree with a lot of people here that that T2i is fantastic, and will probably make your dreams come true, I distinctly remember hearing you say something about fundage.

Personally, I would:

1) Shell out the massive $160 bucks for the Canon G10 housing (your mileage may vary on price, but they really don't cost that much).
2) Purchase a strobe that you *could* use later on the DSLR (I have a Sea&Sea strobe, which I like, but lots of people will disagree I'm sure).
3) Save up for a nice housing for the T2i, whereupon all your aforementioned dreams would be fulfilled.

You will be out about $160 if you decide to go with the rebel housing later on, but the advantage is that you can be taking pictures for quite some time between steps (1) and (3). I certainly wouldn't shell out for a more expensive housing for a G10 if I had a T2i waiting in the wings (nor would I buy a Pen, nice camera though it is, if I already had a G10 *and* a rebel sitting around), but I also wouldn't dive without a camera of some kind.

This is very good advice. Start with a housing and strobe on G10, then you can decide if you want something more in the future while you're taking pictures and learning uwphoto.

Speaking as someone that owns a G10/Fisheye FIX housing system and a T2i/Nauticam housing system I would second/third what Ruu said. Get the Canon housing for the G10, get a good strobe (Inon or S&S) and start taking photos. As you can see the G10 is capable of fantastic photos. And it shoots video (much easier than video on the T2i as well). It's much more flexible than an SLR because on a single dive you can shoot great macro and great WA photos.

What people who recommend housing the SLR haven't told you is how much it can cost to get a reasonably equipped UW SLR system. I'm sitting at around $8500 for my T2i system for just 2 lenses (60mm macro, 10-17 fisheye).

Back
Top Bottom