Newbie type questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mick

Reaction score
Can someone plase in easy terms (dive computers for dummies style) the difference between Air integrated and other type computers.My girlfriend an I are going to Malaysia after our OW course and I would like to buy over there (much cheaper then Australia).
We were looking at the suunto Cobra and Vyper ???

Any help would be great

Thanks

Mick :peace:

Hey, Mick!

Basically, the difference between "air integrated" and other dive PCs is that the AI unit keeps track of how much air is in your tank and usually how fast you are using it. IOW, they replace both your submersible pressure gauge (SPG) and depth gauge. Some will also give you information as to air consumption vs. no decompression limits (NDLs).

Preferences on AI vs non-AI PCs are quite subjective. I have had both types. And despite all the bells & whistles some AIs give you, in the end I personally prefer non-AI units for the simple reason that if you have a battery failure with an AI unit, your dive is over because: you have no way of knowing how much air is in your tank. At least with a non-AI unit I can fall back on using my Wheel or Tables & my watch... no such option with an AI unit.

Just my $0.02's worth...

~SubMariner~

basicly they are the same except that an AI will monitor your air along with everything else. and that's it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom