Newbie-Scubapro package deal??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

browntrout

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been doing a lot of looking new used variety of brands and keep coming back to a Scubapro deal through my shop. Just wanting a little feedback before I "DIVE" in head first.

Scubapro

Pilot BC/Air2/M2plus 295 reg/Aladin prime computer/pressure gauge for $675

The equipment will be used for about 1 or 2 warm water trips a year and then fresh water dives here at altitude in the Western US. Not planning any really cold water diving or diving under ice. Does this sound like a good deal on a intro level package?

Most everyone tells me that is better to get a brand that can locally and easily be serviced, so whatever your local shop sells. There are alot of brands, and most all of them have good regs. Apeks, Oceanic, Scubapro, Mares, Cressi, etc.

I've heard some varying opinions on Air2. Though I'm not uber experienced, I'm a noob, I kinda wanna keep things simple, I just have a std inflator and seperate octopus, and I'll keep it like that for a while.

I still haven't found a BC I necessarily liked. I've used the Scubapro Classic, the pilot, and the nighthawk in my class. I liked the back inflated nighthawk of the three.

The Mk2 plus regulator is their base model non-balanced piston reg. They are fairly inexpensive and available on ebay. Currently there is a used one with the R190 and guages for $95 buy now, or bid now $50 and no one has yet bid on it.

I've never used the Aladin dive computer, I use an oceanic datamax console air integrated dive computer and I love it. Its probably 10 years old, but the logarithm it uses is conservative and safe. Its easy to use, simple, and easy to read.

You might look at local adds in newspaper, or craigslist, or ask friends around, maybe even consider buying off ebay. Buying equipment new is really expensive. I bought all mine used, two complete sets of gear. Two ScubaPro Mk20 w/G200B and slimline oceanic octo's and datamax consoles. Two Oceanic weight integrated BC's. Fins, boots, wetsuits, luggage, and everything. All in well kept like new condition for $500. Found it on craigs list.

I've been doing a lot of looking new used variety of brands and keep coming back to a Scubapro deal through my shop. Just wanting a little feedback before I "DIVE" in head first.

Scubapro

The equipment will be used for about 1 or 2 warm water trips a year and then fresh water dives here at altitude in the Western US. Not planning any really cold water diving or diving under ice. Does this sound like a good deal on a intro level package?

My basic equipment is scubapro, been diving their brand for 17 years, and have never ever had a problem. Very high quality equipment. The only piece we would have in common if you bought your set-up is the AIR II but I highly prefer that type of set-up on my BC as opposed to a more conventional octo set-up. If you go with the deal you mentioned I think you'll be well pleased.

I also think it's a good idea to buy local for the ease of service and to have a good working relationship with you LDS. The set-up sounds like a fair deal to me. But go and price each piece on some web site just to see how they have it priced to satisfy yourself.

Good Luck with your future purchase.

BDSC

Scubapro

very low end gear....... I wouldn't buy any reg that isn't balanced. You can do better and enjoy your diving by going up in quality.
Just my 2 cents.

robin:D

Scubapro

I was curious so I just priced everything you have listed at a well known discount web site. It priced out about $1150. But that was pricing an Aladan Prime 2/pressure gauge. Don't know if there is a difference between that and an Aladan Prime/pressure gauge. So if this stuff is new, you're getting a great deal if that's what you want.

BDSC

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll look at doing the package with an upgrade to the regulator.

BDSC this in new equipment and it's the computer with a separate low end pressure gauge.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll look at doing the package with an upgrade to the regulator.

BDSC this in new equipment and it's the computer with a separate low end pressure gauge.

You're getting a great deal then. Not a bad idea to upgrade the reg like robint suggested but I read reviews on the 295 and people loved them. But if you have the extra cash, put it in the reg.

BDSC

That is a really good deal,but you know that you can upgrade the reg if
you want to. The special that S/P is running is ANY BC with an Air2 and
ANY reg and you get a free wrist computer. Any way you work it out,
it is a good deal. FWIW, I've been using the same Air2 for 17 years now.

You're getting a great deal then. Not a bad idea to upgrade the reg like robint suggested but I read reviews on the 295 and people loved them. But if you have the extra cash, put it in the reg.

BDSC

yeah, I am sure that some people love it. The owner of our LDS tells everyone that his old Conshelf breathes as good at the Legend. Of course, he hasn't done a dive in the ocean in 5+ years and never with a Legend. In fact, he is 80+ years old, have lots of major health issues, and is not a great diver, plus he has less than 100 dives total in his lifetime. People listen to him because he owns a dive shop...... and they really shouldn't. When I listen to people's opinions on gear, I take what they say and factor in their dive history (where they dive, different types of diving, how many dives) and what gear they have actually used. Just my thoughts.

robin:D

very low end gear....... I wouldn't buy any reg that isn't balanced. You can do better and enjoy your diving by going up in quality.

Important to mention saying a reg is/is not balanced does not tell the OP much. Balancing the second stage matters, balancing the first stage, not so much. You 'can't use a MK2 as your deep reg's first stage on a 200 foot dive' (they say), but you will really never notice any difference between a Mk2 and a (name your first stage). If ScubaPro was not such a Pain In The Butt to buy at rental prices and get parts for an independent instructor's rental fleet, I would use MK2 first stages exclusively as my rental fleets first stages (including the reg for me.). And I have done so at places where I could deal direct with ScubaPro for rental gear and parts. MK2's are a dream to work with, and bulletproof.

On the other hand, most unbalanced second stages are teh suck. Some unbalanced second stages don't suck as bad as others, but on the whole, teh suck. Easy to work on, but long straw versus wide mouth can, and all that.

Air2's rule. Always cap the Air2 with the little cap dealie the same way you would cap your first stage when you are done diving, though. And make sure you get a 40" hose and a swivel for your R390 since that's the one you will be giving away in the unlikely event.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom