Newbie-Scubapro package deal??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been doing a lot of looking new used variety of brands and keep coming back to a Scubapro deal through my shop. Just wanting a little feedback before I "DIVE" in head first.

Scubapro

Pilot BC/Air2/M2plus 295 reg/Aladin prime computer/pressure gauge for $675

The equipment will be used for about 1 or 2 warm water trips a year and then fresh water dives here at altitude in the Western US. Not planning any really cold water diving or diving under ice. Does this sound like a good deal on a intro level package?

The MK2 is bullet proof, a very good regulator and really, trouble free. The MK2/R295 combo will take a "lickin and keep on ticking" To do what you have described above, it will be more than up to the task. I have been diving the Air 2 for about six months with no issues to date. :palmtree: Bob

that's a good package for the price. After all, it is an entry level package and sounds perfect for your occasional use in the warm waters. I wouldn't think you will need a balance because it seems you are just using this gear for just leisure and no deep water diving intentions. I say go for it. Buy from you local dive shop. You will be honored with free annual parts for life as long as you keep up with your annual maintenance and the support of your shop will be right beside you.

I REALLY appreciate all the responses. Can anyone give me a non-technical difference in a balanced .VS. non-balanced second stage? What are will a person notice between the two on a dive??

Second stages feature a Pneumatically Balanced Valve System. In most second stage designs, the inhalation effort of the diver opens a valve inside the regulator that is held closed by spring tension. In the pneumatically balanced design, the pressure on the second stage valve is "balanced" by allowing medium pressure air to pass through to the opposite side of the valve to help counteract the force of the spring. This reduces the inhalation effort required to open the second stage valve and substantially improves the overall ease of breathing in all diving conditions.

You really wouldn't need that, either. The mk2 plus design has been around since 1962. r295 is so simple and durable yet it can work with many people which you can change the hose setting from the left to the right and vice versa plus its already preset from the factory. This package is perfect for you. That is definitely a good price with an air2.

I REALLY appreciate all the responses. Can anyone give me a non-technical difference in a balanced .VS. non-balanced second stage? What are will a person notice between the two on a dive??

Non-technical explanation
Balanced means that it breathes the same at 20' or 120'(same amount of effort needed to get your air to you)'
Un-balanced means that the deeper you go, the harded it is to draw air. Some un-balanced regs are like sucking a grape through a straw when you get deeper than 50'. I don't want that personally.

robin:D

well for the score most aquatic life is at 40 feet and up. Again this reg being that it is unbalanced is fine. Come to think of it, I might as well talk my dad into buying a similar setup, probably the same brand as yours when I can urge to get trained in open water. This scuba equipment will hopefully be used often when he retires to the Philippines in a few years. Same ocean and basically the same weather as Florida, right?

Non-technical explanation
Balanced means that it breathes the same at 20' or 120'(same amount of effort needed to get your air to you)'
Un-balanced means that the deeper you go, the harded it is to draw air. Some un-balanced regs are like sucking a grape through a straw when you get deeper than 50'. I don't want that personally.

robin:D

That's just what I was looking for. Thanks.

well for the score most aquatic life is at 40 feet and up. Again this reg being that it is unbalanced is fine. Come to think of it, I might as well talk my dad into buying a similar setup, probably the same brand as yours when I can urge to get trained in open water. This scuba equipment will hopefully be used often when he retires to the Philippines in a few years. Same ocean and basically the same weather as Florida, right?

if you are diving shallow reefs at 30-40' depth there is lots to see......... however, I have never been on a dive trip anywhere that we did more that 1-2 dives at that depth. Most dive ops take you to a variety of dive sites, variety of depths, and a variety of topography. And no, Philippines is not the same ocean as Florida, very different in all respects except that it is salt water and I doubt he will find too many dives at less than 40'.

robin

Thanks again for all the input, thought I would post the final outcome. I decided that I didn't want to buy gear that I would just want to upgrade and to get a weight intergrated BC and balanced reg from the LDS was just beyond my budget. I also wanted to get a set for my wife which was similar to mine.

I found a matching lightly used Scubapro knighthawk and ladyhawk on ebay. They come with an MK25 and MK17 R295 regs R190 octo's and Aladin prime computers. I figure I can upgrade to balanced seconds down the road.

Thanks again for all the input, thought I would post the final outcome. I decided that I didn't want to buy gear that I would just want to upgrade and to get a weight intergrated BC and balanced reg from the LDS was just beyond my budget. I also wanted to get a set for my wife which was similar to mine.

I found a matching lightly used Scubapro knighthawk and ladyhawk on ebay. They come with an MK25 and MK17 R295 regs R190 octo's and Aladin prime computers. I figure I can upgrade to balanced seconds down the road.

I think you have a great set-up with that equipment. My wife tried several BC's and ended up with a ladyhawk and she loves it. Best fitting BC she tried. Congrats on the purchase.

BDSC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom