Newbie ? -Regulator Ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finnatic

Contributor
Reaction score
I did a search but didn't find a clear answer. I am looking at equipment and pricing (start my OW class on Tuesday) and I notice that first stages offer anywhere from 1 - 5 high pressure ports. Why would I need more than 1 high pressure port? Also, how many low pressure ports to consider? I will probably be a recreational diver. Rodale's rated Mares MR12 Axis best budget reg for performance and price...but I could spend more if I need to. I would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
Finnattic

Even though you don't think there's a chance in hell that you will consider buying a drysuit at the current moment, there's always a chance that it will happen, so I suggest that you have room for four LP hoses.

You have nice caves in the state Southeast of where you live, you might want to visit them someday. You'll find a drysuit very useful when you spend more than 60 mins in an environment with no sun.

Price differences are usually non-existent, depending on the model you're looking at.

Finnatic,

I would think that you'd want 2 HP ports. At some point even if you go with a wireless transmitter on one, you could still have a backup SPG off of the other one.

Two HP ports offer a little more flexibility in hose routing and it gives you the option of mounting the first stage upside down. Sometimes this helps route things better and still allows you to have your SPG/console on the traditional left side.

I agree you should go with a first stage that has no less than 4 LP ports. But another important consideration is where they are located and where they are pointing. I have seen a few regs that have 4 LP ports but are not ammenable to proper hose routing.

In my case, I dive with independent doubles and have an SPG on the right side from one reg in addition to the SPG/console on the other reg on the left side. Having 2 HP ports on the right side reg allows this to happen without having to invert the first stage or make the hp hose look like a pretzel.

>first stages offer anywhere from 1 - 5 high pressure ports

That's got to be a typo. Most of those ports will be low / intermediate pressure, not high pressure.

The usual breakdown is as follows:

1st HP port - SPG / console

2nd HP port - I've only ever seen this on one older model Aqualung regulator. I think it was meant for the highly paranoid to carry a backup SPG. Otherwise, as pointed out by one of the other posters, it might solve a hose routing problem or allow you to carry a mechanical SPG in addition to an air integrated computer transmitter. It didn't solve any problems for me (as well as this particular model needing a non-standard parts kit) so I binned it.

1st LP port - main second stage.
2nd LP port - backup/octopus second stage.
3rd LP port - BCD/Wings inflator.
4th LP port - Drysuit inflation whip.

From there you can get into discussions about warm water only diving (no suit whip) or intergrated BCD inflator/backup reg units to reduce your hose count.

I have some 3 port regulators in inventory (probably from the late 70's). They're handy for pony bottle and air tool use, but that's about it. If you don't need the fourth port yet it can always stay plugged and will at least give you some options while you're working out your hose routing.

Delta_P once bubbled...
2nd HP port - I've only ever seen this on one older model Aqualung regulator.

Actually regulators with 2 HP ports are becoming increasingly popular. Many manufacturers offer it on their higher end models.

James

Delta_P once bubbled...
2nd HP port - I've only ever seen this on one older model Aqualung regulator. I think it was meant for the highly paranoid to carry a backup SPG. Otherwise, as pointed out by one of the other posters, it might solve a hose routing problem or allow you to carry a mechanical SPG in addition to an air integrated computer transmitter. It didn't solve any problems for me (as well as this particular model needing a non-standard parts kit) so I binned it.

Are you speaking of the AL Cousteau 1st-stage?

As someone who is, shall we say, rather involved in the computer industry, I would not put my life on one that is as cheap as the dive computers we get today. For that reason, I will be using my second HP port for a backup SPG, with the other one going to an AI computer.

Actually regulators with 2 HP ports are becoming increasingly popular. Many manufacturers offer it on their higher end models.

The important term there is "higher end", I guess. I lost my taste for high end regs after Poseidon went with that upstream second stage system. Now I tend to ignore the latest and greatest in favour of cheap and proven bulletproof.

Are you speaking of the AL Cousteau 1st-stage?

Yes. It was long enough ago I had to check the maintenance logs to confirm which one it was. A great clunky piece of brass, as I recall.

As someone who is, shall we say, rather involved in the computer industry, I would not put my life on one that is as cheap as the dive computers we get today. For that reason, I will be using my second HP port for a backup SPG, with the other one going to an AI computer.

Interesting comment. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "BSOD", doesn't it?

It would be interesting to see some hard data on the reliability of these gadgets across the industry.

Delta_P once bubbled...
Yes. It was long enough ago I had to check the maintenance logs to confirm which one it was. A great clunky piece of brass, as I recall.

It is large, but doesn't appear any larger than some of the newer high-end stuff. Like SP's MK25 or MK16.

You can see one at http://www.aqualung.com/catalog/prodpage/regulate/cousteau.htm.

I picked one up last summer with a Micra ADJ second stage.

Interesting comment. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "BSOD", doesn't it?

It would be interesting to see some hard data on the reliability of these gadgets across the industry.

Does it ever. The only difference is "blue" means flooded and "death" means you, not the 'puter. :eek:

I just hope that Suunto doesn't let Microsoft touch any of their dive computers... otherwise a BSOD will be common occurrence everytime the unit gets wet:
http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/su...dlines&in_left_link=suunto2.pubnews.headlines

I wonder if that reliability data would be available anywhere other than manufacturers. Another interesting, yet difficult to get, dataset would be number of units recalled to number sold.

Back
Top Bottom