newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drglnc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This has probobly been asked a thousand times. but i couldnt find a thread. What exactly is a rebreather, its uses and when is it recommended.

drglnc:
This has probobly been asked a thousand times. but i couldnt find a thread.
What exactly is a rebreather
That's hard to believe, this basic explanation is on the next page of threads. :wink:

its uses and when is it recommended.
The primary use is to extend gases by using between less (semi closed-circuit rebreathers) and very little (closed circuit rebreathers). In other words, when your depth and/or duration requires more gas than is practical to haul along, or your location prohibits endless amounts of gas to be generated or stored as needed, rebreathers may be the only choice.

CCRs also offer some deco advantage as the has keeps a stable pO2 rather than change it with depth.

All rebreathers generate heat and moisture in the scrubbing process, so the gas is warm and moist. Reduces dry mouth and dehydration.

CCRs only dump gas as you ascent (much like bc or dysuit), SCRs expell less bubbles than OC during the entire dive. Hence they generate muchless noise, great for interaction with marine life. That in and by itself makes several UW cameramen (and women) use rebreathers. If bubbles are vented it is usually on the back or the shoulders, not in front of the mask.

The reduced gas consumption leads to reduced gas costs. May that be on an SCR (usually nitrox extended 4 to 8 or more times) or CCR (diluent only used to dilute the mix to be breathable at depth and make up for loss of volume at depth, O2 used to replace metabolized O2!). If you use a lot of trimix the gas savings are considerable.
For some divers their $8,000 CCRs pay for themsleves within a year or two ... .

Disadvantages are the higher price (anywhere between $2,500 and $15,000, new or used!), higher maintainance (more bits and pieces), more pre- and post dive requirements (to make sure they all work and are clean) as well as more potentail failures (again more bits and pieces to fail, and gas in the loop is never the same as in the tank).

Plenty of new skills are needed, and must be initially learned and then continiously practised.

For some dives they are required, for some probably recommended, for most possible and for some they don't make much sense. :wink:

Thats the info I was looking for, sorry I missed it on the thread I did a search on rebreathers but did find any explanation . anway thanks again.

Just one fact : If you try a rebretather I will be impossible to redive with an OC. A rebreather is a so confortable solution. And produce no bubble autorizes a new approach of under see world. So fantastic. I bought two Draeger Ray... from 0 to 100 feeds it's a very friendly machine ... Try

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom