Newbie needs help/suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If any of you are outside of the normal rental parameters (too tall, too short, too skinny, too fat), you may want to consider getting something that fits properly. Perhaps even renting it locally and hauling it with you. Nothing sucks more than trying to complete the open water skill while having to deal with an improper fitting gear.

So you have the mask/snorkel/fins. If you know exactly where you will dive you might be able to buy a wetsuit. Eventually boots and gloves if needed.

Then, after you have used enough rental equipment to know what you need, you will be able to buy the BC and regulator (but this will be a big amount of money, so you may postpone it for a while), together with some basic instruments.

I would postpone the dive computers to the last. There is nothing wrong with tables, and you can use those money for more important items.

Sorry to hear the dive shop stripped you 1k for masks, fins and snorkels - they must have put every effort into selling you the most expensive models they have. (Mask - 60 bucks; fins: 100 bucks, snorkel: 20 bucks; times 3 comes to 540 bucks). But when you think about the ultra-low retention rates (5%) by which newly certified divers actually stay with it, it's no wonder that the stores do anything they can to maximize their profit off the bat. But this is only a side note and doesn't help you a bit with your question. Diving is not a cheap hobby, that's for sure. That said, I firmly believe that by starting out renting gear and shopping smartly, and most importantly, not falling for all this marketing BS but keeping it simple and real, scuba diving can be done without a bottomless wallet. My answer to your question as to what you absolutely need for your OW dives is this: none of the above. You should be able to rent everything you need from the store. Don't let them talk you into committing to buying any further equipment unless you really want to. Almost all pieces that I bought as a beginner I now wish I hadn't bought. There is simply no way of knowing what your needs will be and what you REALLY need for the diving you want to do. In the beginning, one has no idea what's out there, what kind of diving one will do and how to choose the best equipment for that. don't let the store put you into one of their "complete package uniforms", fork over a couple of thousand bucks and then be stuck with equipment you may hate or find uncomfortable or not useful for your kind of diving etc.

Remember: This is about getting to explore the underwater world and see how you like it one and foremost. All equipment considerations follow from there.

There are 2 thought trains here you can ride.

The first one is the one that everyone here is telling you. No you dont need to buy all that gear to do your cert dives with.

The other is yes you do.
I worked for a shop in Sunny St. Somewhere and I know where in the chain of things to do repairing rental gear fell, somewhere after the boat, then happy hour, my gear, happy hour, filling tanks, happy hour, then maybe the night dive I could get to repairing the rental gear.

Am I telling you that you need to buy all this stuff NO I am not, you can rent locally and take with you.
If you were a diver learning with out the family I would say get your own gear and learn using it.

But when a family is learning I would say wait till you are sure you'll love diving then start with getting a good 1st/2nd/sgp-depth/octo set up then a BC that fits well then a coumputer then all the other collect all 12 things you think you will need.

All the above is good advice. Don't buy anything until you're certified, then rent stuff for a while.

However, this

Do you have trouble breathing at depth or overbreath the reg when you dive? If so you'll prob want to get an overbalanced reg that can has the settings to force air into your mouth if you need it.

is complete bollocks. I suggest you ignore it, and also suggest DivingPrincessE does some research into demand valves so that she understands how a regulator works.

Ditto --
Hopefully the LDS isn't trying to sell all that stuff to you prior to Certification. You only need mask, fins, and snorkel. Rent for awhile and decided what type of BC, exposure protection you will need, research the different computers for your needs, etc. Never is there to much research-- be informed prior to buying.

Good luck and have fun.

All the above is good advice. Don't buy anything until you're certified, then rent stuff for a while.

However, this

is complete bollocks. I suggest you ignore it, and also suggest DivingPrincessE does some research into demand valves so that she understands how a regulator works.

I don't overbreathe the reg or need more air, but I've heard that its one thing people consider when buying a reg. If it doesn't matter at all then why do they make regs with this option?

I don't overbreathe the reg or need more air, but I've heard that its one thing people consider when buying a reg. If it doesn't matter at all then why do they make regs with this option?
It's not a feature I'd give one tenth of one seconds thought to. Link

I feel sorry for the OP. I understand shops need to sell gear to stay in business, but is this really in the best interest of the customer?

I bought mask, snorkel fins after certification (and boots/gloves, but that's for cold water). After that, I rented for an entire year before buying nearly all of my gear used. BEST decision I ever made, cause it let me discover what I like and don't like (and wouldn't you have it, I even ended up replacing my snorkel/fins as well).

Btw, dive gear is the first real set of used anything that I've ever gotten, as I tend to prefer shiny new toys in original manufacturer wrapping. Still the best decision ever.

The only addition I would make is a $30 Timex rated to 100 meters. For everything else take your time. Shame on the dive shop for pushing.

safedives to you and your fam
trtldvr
Florida Keys Safe Diving Initiative

Worked for us for about 1000 dives(I dove with my 1st computer @ about dive 900--wife used her 1st computer this past summer--after about 400 dives)........to the OP, close your ears & eyes when the LDS person starts talking equipment, you've got all you need @ this time--except for a $30 time piece.......& btw, here's what I'd get:

Amazon.com: Casio Men's Alarm Chronograph Sport Watch #DW290-1V: Jewelry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom