Newbie needing bcd advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are a girl, and a bit over 30 which I assume from your nick, you're just like me. Go all in. My best call up until now has been to go for a BP and Wing. The backplate with crotchstrap looks awful, but dives beautifully. It fits all my curves, and doesn't strangle the others. It keeps my head over water when it needs to, and my body in trim when that is the goal. It fits all my ups and downs in weight. (I have lost abt 50lbs since I got mine).
Definitely appreciate the advice. When I do decide to purchase, I will need to keep the “curves” in mind. LoL.

Cheers.

Some real general guidelines:

It's all about the FIT so if at all possible try b4 you buy. Check the return policies at Scubatoys.com or Leisurepro.com for options you may not have locally,

Lpcal dealer support on a BC is pretty useless - they don't break unless you tear something. Mine went back once for it's first year free check - since then not. I have changed inflators which took about 5 mins and two cable ties.

Although you likely trained in a jacket style BC -- most popular in rental fleets - tget;re really good at floating you vertical at the surface. But that;s called treading water, not diving.

If you think about it, having the aircell mostly above you via back-inflate or bp/w makees so much more sense when trying to maintain horizontal trim.

Many mfr's make ladies models - Scubapro's is the Ladyhawk. Aqualung's the Lotus - both are designed around a female shape. You might also consider a Zeagle Zena - solid gear - I own their products. All bp/w's are generally unisex but you might want to try a shorter plate offered by some mfr's.

IMO don't buy "gimmicks" Aqualungs I3 is one - instead of a standard inflator they use a series of linkages and valves to do the same job - dump/add air. If it breaks - find an Aqualung dealer as only they have the parts. Scubapro's Hydros seemed like a (pricey) good multi-use solution except the mounting points are ripping out under normal use.

hth, if you find something you like post about it here- someone dives one.

Since your dealer does sell Scubapro - no harm in looking at their regs. It's a good brand and a couple of the models I considered in 1981 when I bought my first gear are still sold today with updated changes. So parts are available.I dive Atomic regs but if I didn't I'd be diving a Mk25/S-something,

hth, I'm not a bp.w enthusiast but if I were I'd probably buy from Tobin at Deep Sea Suppply - they also have a mfr's forum here for questions. And he personally answers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom