Newbie needing bcd advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GulfGalD

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Soon-to-be certified diver here. I’ve passed the online class, and I’m doing my first dive in 2 weeks. I want to have my own gear beforehand. I’m not necessarily afraid to spend money, but I’m not looking to go broke either. My instructor is a Scubapro dealer, and I’m kinda feeling obligated (he’s not being pushy; it’s me). I have been looking at Aqua Lung and Oceanic, though. Any advice? I’ve been doin A TON of research, but that seems to just have me asking more and more questions. I’m feeling overwhelmed. I was hoping to get one of the bcd packages. Any help is seriously appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited:
You may finding buying gear for a hobby you've never tried is challenging.

Similar to choosing a pair of comfortable boots if you've never been walking.

If you're comfortable with waiting a little and gaining experience on various equipment configurations you may find it is much easier to make an informed decision.

I could give you my favorite equipment list, but between brands, it is pretty much the Ford vs Chevy debate.

It's hard to go wrong with equipment, there's good quality products on the market.

Enjoy the journey!
Cameron

You may finding buying gear for a hobby you've never tried is challenging.

Similar to choosing a pair of comfortable boots if you've never been walking.

If you're comfortable with waiting a little and gaining experience on various equipment configurations you may find it is much easier to make an informed decision.

I could give you my favorite equipment list, but between brands, it is pretty much the Ford vs Chevy debate.

It's hard to go wrong with equipment, there's good quality products on the market.

Enjoy the journey!
Cameron

Thanks! I may just wait to learn a little more. I’ve definitely bought my own wetsuit though. Renting someone else’s wet stuff just grossed me out. LoL

Cheers.

I’ll only share my experience. The kind of diving that I thought I’d do is nothing like I wound up doing. So I spent a lot more money than if I had been more patient and tried more gear and talked to more people (especially the types who will loan gear to help you make a more informed buying decision).

I’ll only share my experience. The kind of diving that I thought I’d do is nothing like I wound up doing. So I spent a lot more money than if I had been more patient and tried more gear and talked to more people (especially the types who will loan gear to help you make a more informed buying decision).

Thanks! I’m probably going to rent some gear to get a better sense. I tend to get over enthusiastic about things, which ends up costing me more than I need to spend in the long run.

Cheers.

Hi, @GulfGal73.

Start with the basics. For your BC, figure out if you want a jacket, back inflate, or a backplate/wing. For your regs, figure out if you want a piston or diaphragm 1st stage. Lastly, if you are also buying a computer, think about whether you want console or wrist and how large or small if on wrist.

What is your overall budget and how would you like to allocate those dollars? Do you have a maximum amount you want to spend for a particular category or prioritize more towards a particular item?

Start there and you will start narrowing your choices more easily.

I recommend pushing your LDS to allow you to pick your own components and building your own package and having them work with you on the price that way.

I’m going to recommend that you wait a little and rent for the time being. It’s difficult to know what you will like or not like if you haven’t even dived yet.

During your confined water dives and first few open water dives, you’ll be too busy and focused on learning and improving your skills to notice your likes and dislikes in equipment. After you’ve gotten your basic skills down, then you’ll start to notice your equipment, how they perform, and how you like them or not. At that point, you’ll be much better “equipped” to come to SB and do some research about the pros and cons of different pieces of equipment. Then you can go to your shop and speak with them to get their opinion, as well as try stuff on.

Well you are like me in that you generally go full in when you try something. I'd have to agree with the others to wait. Don't get caught up in "beginner packages". I ended up going with backplate and wing before I even finished OW, that I don't regret, but there are some other things I bought that i didn't care for and sold. It probably took me 30 dives to settle in on the configuration I was happy with.
Like others have said your diving will evolve. I'm not the same diver I was when I started. Find a good mentor that's willing to pass knowledge and like most things in life, never stop learning

If you are a girl, and a bit over 30 which I assume from your nick, you're just like me. Go all in. My best call up until now has been to go for a BP and Wing. The backplate with crotchstrap looks awful, but dives beautifully. It fits all my curves, and doesn't strangle the others. It keeps my head over water when it needs to, and my body in trim when that is the goal. It fits all my ups and downs in weight. (I have lost abt 50lbs since I got mine).

Well you are like me in that you generally go full in when you try something. I'd have to agree with the others to wait. Don't get caught up in "beginner packages". I ended up going with backplate and wing before I even finished OW, that I don't regret, but there are some other things I bought that i didn't care for and sold. It probably took me 30 dives to settle in on the configuration I was happy with.
Like others have said your diving will evolve. I'm not the same diver I was when I started. Find a good mentor that's willing to pass knowledge and like most things in life, never stop learning
DiverDownD3, yes. I tend to go “all in”. It’s a gift and a curse all at once. I think I’m going to wait a bit and take the advice given. Thanks!

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom