Newbie looking for shore diving sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dantastic

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been viewing the forum for a few weeks now and decided to join. I am doing the check out dives for my OW this weekend, and then i will be certified so very excited about that. I live in Boynton Beach, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for shore diving in palm beach county. If you could include the distance from shore depth, and any landmarks to go off of that would be awesome. Thanks

There is a book you can buy that has all the shores dives with all the info you need. (someone help me with the name!) You can pick it up at your local dive center. Happy diving and congratulations!

The first book was written by Ray McAllister. The second is a continuation. I think it's just called "Diving Locations " One is from Hollywood to Jupiter, and the other is from Boynton to Dania Pier, I think. Most of the local dive shops carry them.

You might also want to check out the Fill Express web site, as well as www.diveseahorse.com and www.shorediving.com. (I've posted a couple of reviews on the latter)

Of course, the BEST way to learn about the local sites is to dive with our group. You can find out about upcoming get-togethers under the Private Trips folder.

Hope to see you on the beach,
Grier

Just in time... you missed several months of wind and surf. We're all hoping and praying that it's OVER.

You'll probably want to explore down here in Broward County as well as PBC. There are books, but the best advice is to get to know ScubaJenny - she knows every wothwhile site and is a hoot to dive with as well. A side-benefit is that you'll get very good at air consumption with her!
Dantastic:
Hey all, I have been viewing the forum for a few weeks now and decided to join...

Here, here! It worked for me!

MikeJacobs:
Just in time... you missed several months of wind and surf. We're all hoping and praying that it's OVER.

You'll probably want to explore down here in Broward County as well as PBC. There are books, but the best advice is to get to know ScubaJenny - she knows every wothwhile site and is a hoot to dive with as well. A side-benefit is that you'll get very good at air consumption with her!
Dang Mike, I'm gonna go broke having to pay you with compliments like that!
LOL
Seriously, tho, we do a lot of beach diving down here and this group is a riot to hang with. You are of course welcome to join in the fun. Look for trips in the private trips section.

As far as shore dive sites, the webmasters of the Conchdivers are working on getting something up and running...so I guess its an in progress situation.

Oh and go on over to intros and greets and introduce yourself overthere also. Welcome!!!!

Thanks for the recommendation on the books, ill have to check for them at the dive shop. Also ill be sure to look out for future outings. Hope to see you guys in the water.

Welcome to diving in FL!

The other book you might like is Ned Deloach's book - you can get it at almost any LDS (Local Dive Store) or at Amazon etc. It has some shore dives in your area, a bunch of ideas for boat dives - or a good check prior to those dives of what is involved or afterwards to help you fill in your log of course. It has dives around the state, including my area and up towards cave country and that area far far away from you - the Panhandle - its pretty much all covered, however in your area with so much available (and so many people available) it might be prudent to get a more local guide (both paper and in person off here). Have fun and good luck this weekend with your checkout dives - we will be down your way tomorrow and saturday for some dives.

Dantastic:
Hey all,
I have been viewing the forum for a few weeks now and decided to join. I am doing the check out dives for my OW this weekend, and then i will be certified so very excited about that. I live in Boynton Beach, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for shore diving in palm beach county. If you could include the distance from shore depth, and any landmarks to go off of that would be awesome. Thanks
Heyyyyy! I live in Boynton Beach! The closest worthwhile shore dive is the Blue Heron Bridge, really good for invertibrates and some good fish. Here's the trick.... You have to enter the water at about 30 minutes before high tide, and get out by 30 minutes after.
The book that I would recommend is Ned Deloach's Underwater Florida. Hey... wait a minute... don't I know you?
Yes, I suppose I do! I believe that Dantastic is about to bust the scuba scene wide open with all of the lastest fish-swimming moves from the Scubakev Fish-Swimming Academy of Boynton Beach.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom