Newbie looking for local to dive with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We're visiting The Big Island in July and I have some charters scheduled, both snorkeling and a night manta dive. I'm hoping to get a couple of local dives at home before heading to Hawaii, but I thought I'd see if any kind local would like to dive with a newbie on a shore dive to "get my feet wet," so to speak, in Hawaii local waters and maybe practice a little before doing the night dive. Specifically most of our time will be spent in Kona and that's where our chartered dives will be based.

I'm willing to take another dive with the shop, but it would certainly be cheaper to find a local and then I get to meet some new people and also spend my money in other local businesses than the dive shops as well. I'll have to rent a tank, but that's it, so everybody wins.

I just finished my cert so the dives won't be very long, most likely, and I'm trying to be very open to learning from other divers with better technique and/or more experience.

Anyone care to show a newbie around for an afternoon?

Glad to hear you'll be visiting Hawaii. You may find that some divers are cautious about taking on the responsibility of diving with someone they don't know...especially a newer diver. Some of the dive ops offer an inexpensive "refresher" beach dive. Jack's Diving Locker has one for $55 including all gear. Not sure what other's charge. I'm sure you could find something. Good luck...and if you find an individual local diver to dive with, stay safe and have a great time!

Cuddlefish

Thanks, cuddlefish. I didn't really expect much to come of this, but "nothing ventured, nothing gained". I suspect I'll end up doing another dive with Kona Honu before my night dive, but like I said, it would be good to meet some locals and get a different dive perspective as well.

Back
Top Bottom