Newbie looking for apparel & possible regulator advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidster1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all, I got my open water certification last September in Thailand. Headed to Maui for some dives next month. I'm sure there are all kinds of things to worry about...but the main thing on my mind is apparel...and here's why...

I'm a bald dude and need to protect my head from that big ball of fire in the sky known as the sun. (Sunblock doesn't cut it). While in Thailand, I purchased a vest with a hood on it. That worked OK...but because it was just a vest (no sleeves) the BCD was killing my armpits while floating on the surface. (BCD floats up, cuts into underarms, I cry, etc).

So...is there such a thing as a fairly thin wetsuit (or are they called "rashies") that includes a hood and short sleeves?

I'm not really interested in a hood on it's own. But maybe that's what I've got to get along with a short wetsuit top or "rashy"?

One last question...I'm really not sure how much recreational diving I'll do outside of vacations. Is it worth investing in your own regulator? Not that important - but using rented respirators seems - well, not the most hygienic.

Thanks!
Reid

I sometimes just tie a bandana across the top of my head.

Mr. OOO shares the same problem you do and will get sunburned at depth. He has 2 hoods - one that also covers his neck and looks like a bibbed hood but is not neoprene. It fits like a balaclava - very thin and fitted. He also has a neoprene one that just velcros under the chin - that one does not shift. He did not like any of the bandana/do-rag options because of the look and because they were too "flowy" underwater. He likes the first one if he doesn't need any warmth. The second he likes in after multiple dive days doing many tanks.

How many tanks do you intend on doing every few years? It may not be worth buying a reg if you don't dive enough because of maintenance and servicing...

One last question.. Is it worth investing in your own regulator? Not that important - but using rented respirators seems - well, not the most hygienic.

If you're worried about hygienic-ness, put NOTHING in your mouth....especially at restaurants.

Last edited:
Spray the mouthpiece with some Listerine or other mouthwash if that concerns you. Do-rags are popular and you can pretend to be a pirate.

Back
Top Bottom