Newbie Looking for Advice: 1st Wetsuit Selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only input is that I think wetsuit skins are a poor choice for use under a drysuit.

I think the most important property of a drysuit undergarment, other than how well it insulates, is how well it wicks moisture away from your skin. A nice, warm, thick undergarment will not feel warm if your base layer is holding moisture against your skin. Wetsuit skins generally do not breathe or wick. Under a drysuit, they will most likely make you sweat a bit and hold that moisture against your skin.

I have a large pile of Lavacore gear that I bought when I started diving. I had the same basic train of thought as you. After the first few months, I have never worn any of it again.

@stuartv, as always, you're answers are well thought-out and illuminating. I really do appreciate your input. It is possible we're trying to be too versatile in our choices, trying to cover too many bases with too few players. This might take further research and discussion.

Thanks! :-D

Yamamoto neoprene dominates the market (90% share) so we probably have a wetsuit from a brand that uses Yamamoto neoprene.

Back
Top Bottom