Newbie Looking at Aeris XR-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first computer was an XR-1 and it did the job fine. I never had any problems with it. No doubt it is a cheap and simple computer, but for rec diving on air it is perfectly fine. It calculates your time remaining and keeps track of the numbers, that's what it's meant to do... everything else is just bells and whistles.

My only complaint, and it is minor, is that it is very sensitive to ascent. If you go faster than 30 fpm at any instant it will cause the dive log's ascent rate to be flashing permanently. It doesn't matter of course, so long as you are able to interpret what happened (like, I went from 55 to 52 feet "too fast.") One other thing that everyone says about it is that when you are in the caution zone with your N2 loading, it really means it... it is pretty liberal with the NDL and will push it. I think this is a good thing but make sure to take your ascent extra slow and do your safety stop if you are in the caution zone!

I got nitrox certified after about six months, but many people never even get it and thus would never need anything more than the XR-1. I think air is very underappreciated and it is fine for 90%+ of dives.

hubby and i just bought our first computers. that completes having our own gear. yippee!! i got the XR-2 and he got the EliteT3. we are taking our nitrox course in a couple of weeks. as soon as the water's a little warmer we'll go somewhere around here and goof around with our new computers. in june we're going to Saba, hence getting our nitrox certif. - using nitrox is pretty popular there because of the depths. we're excited about our computers, and i would agree, get the xr-2 since it's nitrox capable and reasonably priced! can wait to try mine out!

Wolfie2012:
All that being said, the XR-1 is a good air-only computer. The only difference I know of between the XR-2 and the XR-1 is the nitrox capability.

Let us know what you do end up deciding to get :)

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

Hi.... looks like lot of ppl are or has used XR-2, could some of you share your experience with it?

Thanks

i have a question,how many newer divers can stretch a alum 80 into deco time on air or nitrox? i have not see it happen yet, on the dive profiles we commonly do 50- 60 ft,i usually see a 80 last from 30-45 minutes,until you can go to deco on that size tank i see no big advantage to nitrox,of course with jumbo tanks i get it.

divinginn:
... until you can go to deco on that size tank i see no big advantage to nitrox ...

If you do multiple dives a day, you can realize the benefit of Nitrox quickly.

As for the Aeris XR-1, it's a nice computer, especially at its current price point. I bought one to use as a bottom timer.

If you are going Nitrox compatible, I prefer the Cressi Archimedes II or the Dive Rite NiTek Plus. Personally, I don't like the one button design of the XR. Miss set something, and you're pressing a lot of buttons.

Harshal:
Hi.... looks like lot of ppl are or has used XR-2, could some of you share your experience with it?

Thanks

I bought an Aeris XR2 as my first computer. I have had about 20 or so dives with it and found it fairly intuative to use.

The display is large enough that I can see what is necessary with my corrective lenses (sans bifocals). The "advance" button on the face is big enough so that with my thick gloves I can scroll through the displays. I do have a hard time with the select button on the side - its kind of small - it's only real function underwater is for the backlight, so it's not a big deal. The select button is mostly used to set up some of the options at surface - FO2, alarms, etc.

The single advance button can be a pain at times as somebody has aready mentioned - if you scroll past what you want, you have continue until your choice comes back up again.

I found the manual easy to understand and the functions easy to set up. So far I have only relied on the "log" function and have not yet purchased the cable to download to a PC.

I am a novice and this has been my only experience with a dive computer. It was recommended to me as a reasonably priced computer that would do me for some time. So far I agree.

Personally I like the one button feature on the XR-2. As long as you set everything topside, you really only need to worry about pushing one button if, for example, you want to change what is showing on the current display.

Only problem I ever had with my XR-2 was a battery-related issue. After the last dive of the day I board the boat, habitually check my computer and see it turn off and reset everything - time, nitrogen loading, fly timer, etc. Luckily it was my last dive of the week so it really didn't affect me at all. Changed out the battery to a different brand and haven't had a problem since - probably 80 or so dives ago.

Otherwise, I like the functionality and the size of the display. Only reason I might consider changing to a different computer is to add wireless air integration. Course that isn't very high on my priority list. I like my SPG. (Though, being a gadget junkie, my list of things to buy gets shorter with each passing paycheck) :wink:

ae3753:
If you do multiple dives a day, you can realize the benefit of Nitrox quickly.

Exactly.

Hi, I need some confirmation from Aeris XR-1 users.

I am thinking of using the Aeris XR-1 as a bottom timer and digital gauge. Is gauge mode and unit of measure (metric/imperial) user selectable? Also does it have a calendar? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom