Newbie help: I need suggestions to my setup (Panasonic TZ5)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello there!

I would like to hear if you have any comments on what to buy for my Panasonic TZ5 camera. I understand that the camera has some problems under water with poor-ish light conditions.

Case: Cameras Underwater: Panasonic housing DMW-MCTZ5 for Lumix DMC-TZ4, 5
I guess that Panasonics own housing is the only housing for the TZ5.

I have heard that Magic Filter should do the trick when the light conditions are not so good. However I am wondering wether or not if I should invest in a flash. I know absolutely nothing about flashes. Would all the below flashes do the trick for me?

Sea & Sea YS-17 (£290): Cameras Underwater Store

Ikelite AF35 (£350): Cameras Underwater Store

Fuji Film Ramora Flash (£204): Cameras Underwater Store

General comments and suggestions about UW photography related to this thread is also much appreciated. Would you maybe suggest getting a cheap P&S Canon with UW equipment as there are more equipment available for canon/ikelite housings?

Kind regards
mth

PS: I am going to buy this book in the near future as well:
essential guide to underwater digital photography

all the strobes are ok. but my suggestion is get a long flexible arm so you can move the strobe to different positions.
also forget the book and read this instead:
Underwater Photography Guide

A good strobe is very important to UW photography. You need power, adjustability and a good mounting system for it. Of the 3 above I would pick the Fuji. The S&S is less powerful that the other 2 (guide number 14 as opposed to 20 for the other ones) and has a rigid mounting system which makes proper aiming of the strobe near impossible. The Ikelite is equal in power to the Fuji but I really do not like the external controller or the mounting system. The external controller has wiring internal to the handle which makes it impossible to add more arm length to the strobe, again limiting it's flexability. Plus the mounting system is not strong enough IMO, it may hold up but with in my hand it did not appear strong enough to me. Because strobe mount is an intergral part of that particular strobe, it may not be repairable if it breaks, leaving you with a good strobe with an unrepairable mount. It also prevents you from using the strobe with a better mounting system later on.

Magic Filters are IMO a poor choice. While they will work OK in shallow clear water they otherwise don't offer much. They block off other colors of light and allow more reds to pass through which improves the overall color of the background in the photo but does nothing for close up objects and adds unwanted reds when used with an internal flash or strobe. There is a price to pay for the color adjustment, because they reduce the amount of light your camera has to work with, shots will be more difficult to properly expose at depth. You are better served by learning to use manual white balance controls in your camera. That accomplishes the same thing and at the same time does not reduce the amount of availible light to the camera.

My best recommendation is to save your money for a while, buy a better strobe later and in the mean time spend some time learning to use your camera as it is. Learn to shoot in manual mode, learn what a histogram does, learn to use manual white balance and how to compose shots that take advantage of the equipment you have. Really good shots can be taken with just the internal flash IF you learn to select the correct shot. Even the best strobe is only good to maybe 6 to 9 ft (2-3 M), all of the ones above will be less. You are better served by learning to use your camera as it is and add a better strobe (and yes a much more expensive one) than the ones above. Additionally, stobes will last a long time and if you buy one with plenty of power and controls you can use it with other cameras you may want to upgrade to in the future.

That website is amazing! I love how he goes over so much stuff.

its the best free advice on u/w photography youll find anywhere imho.
id say he covers most if not all of what you find in books.

Back
Top Bottom