Newbie Gear Buying Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elinox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been trying to find answers to my questions but this forum is so huge that it's simply overwhelming! So, if all else fails, ask!

My husband and I are relatively new to diving, having just gotten our open water certification in January. Now that all we want to do is dive, we're thinking about purchasing our own gear. We already have fins, masks and snorkels and shorty wetsuits (mine is 2mm, his is 3.5mm). Obviously, if we own our own gear we'll each need a BCD, regulator, octopus, console, thicker wetsuits and weights too. But trying to figure out which brand is better for our needs has been really hard to figure out.

So far, it seems to me to come down to personal preference as far as brand goes for gear. But I was hoping for some recommendations, or at least some form of direction for buying our first scuba gear!

I'm going to be less picky about certain things (so long as they're not pink!), but as a female, I would prefer a BCD that fits my small frame. I have tried on the Aqua Lung Pearl and really liked it, but it's a hybrid one (jacket/back combo according to the website). I was certified with a back inflated BCD. Is there a large difference between back or chest inflated? Is this something I should test before buying? And do people tend to prefer a weight belt or integrated weights on their BCD? The pearl has integrated weights but I was trained with a weight belt.

As far as regulator goes, I think we'll probably buy the same brand of octopus as we do regulator. Is there any particular brand we should stay away from?

Some background: so far, we've only been diving in the Caribbean. Sometime in the future that may change, but for the most part we'll be warm water divers. Although the option for colder water is a plus as well as things being nitrox ready.

So, tips for things to absolutely buy or stay away from gear-wise for first time buyers? Or any other recommendations?

When it comes to gear, brands are not the most important consideration.

When it comes to BC's fit, comfort, and attachments are the most important. Women especially seem to have a hard time fitting into the "one size fits most" attitude of gear manufacturers, so try them on in the store, find one that fits and is comfortable; then look at everything dangling from it. Are there D-rings in the right spot, does it have dump valves in the right places etc etc. Of course, and you will find this a lot on scubaboard, don't forget the backplate and wing. It is very comfortable and the way that the recreational industry is going.

Regs too brands are a secondary consideration, most major brands will provide a quality product. Make sure you can get them serviced easily and relatively cheaply, so ask around before you buy anything. Go ahead an mix brands if you want as the pieces should be interchangeable (and if they are not, find out why and if that is going to affect you in the future)

There is a lot out there, I would recommend go slow and buy a piece at a time. Most of the gear will last decades if cared for properly so there is no hurry to buy it all right now

Brand does not make a difference. If they make spotty equipment, they go out of business.

Price does not matter either. Things that cost more may not necessarily be better. They may have more features, or some new material, but, does that make them better?

What matters is fit and ease of use for you, the diver. Something that does not fit well will make diving a chore, not a pleasure. Something that you have difficult figuring out how to use it, or what something is for, is eventually going to become a waste of money.

Do you have local dive shops near by? Go try things on. Go rent things from them. Figure out what you like, and what you do not.

Regulator brands are important.

If you have one of the more popular brands like Sherwood and Scubapro, then you can get your annual regulator service done just about anywhere. If you have a local dive shop, check to see what brands they will service.

I had a Mares regulator set - very nice - but it was almost impossible to find anyone in the USA who would service the regs. Every year I had to search and ask around to find someone to service the regs. I sent my Mares regs to so many different places for service that they have more frequent flyer miles than I do. One year one of the dive shops went bankrupt and it took almost a year to get my regs back from them.

My wife had Sherwood regs that were easily serviced by our local dive shop, and we've never had any problems with her regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom