Newbie from Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello to you all,

I have never once scuba dived. I have always wanted to learn but just wasn't sure about it. I wasn't sure if I was built for it I guess you could say. I'm a very big guy. I stand six foot three and weigh 375. However I don't quite look it as I have broad shoulders. In talking with one of the employees at a local dive shop he feels I should have no problem with getting into diving.

What do you all think? And obviously I am working to lose weight.

I know I will need to have a custom made wetsuit made for myself for sure.

Will there be anything else you all can think of where I may struggle with finding proper sizes for me?

Or where I may struggle with the dive?

Any and all criticism and.advice is greatly appreciated....

Oooh, someone from behind the Cheddar Curtain! Welcome from a FIB! :D

I used to be 355 and 2 inches shorter, and I was diving. A 2xl weight integrated BCD worked well. Weight belt did not: on top my gut too high, under it could fall down.

Weight doesn't correlate so close with hand and foot size. I wear a size 15 and the biggest gloves I can find. Are those issues for you?

Starting out your gas consumption may be fast, cutting your dive short. If you buy a tank for local diving, I'd get a steel 120, not an aluminum 80.

A lot of travel dive op.s use AL 80s as default tanks. Some have 100's is you ask. A few have options like 120's, such as 3 dive op.s I know of in Cozumel.

Where do you anticipate traveling to dive? The conditions you'll dive in help inform advice.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom