Newbie from Poland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania:
LIT - hmmm, your on-line translator is not the best one - but with a bit of good will we Poles can understand what are you trying to say
Hmmm... I was going to say that Gaelic looks a lot like Polish. :D

But maybe your theory is better.

Stilll..."jesteś patrząc pod kątem"??

--Marek

Marek K:
Sebastian, cześć! And welcome.

Where are you in Poland?

Witaj Marku!

I live in small town called Zyrardow it is just 50km from Warsaw where I study. As far as I noticed from your profile you live in Warsaw.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

stiwi:
Witaj Marku!

I live in small town called Zyrardow it is just 50km from Warsaw where I study. As far as I noticed from your profile you live in Warsaw.
Yup. I'm with the U.S. Embassy here.

I think I had relatives who lived in Zyrardow. And an aunt who lived in Milanowek I think, right next door to you. Zofia Matyjek... maybe you knew of her?

My father was born in Radziejowice in 1902.

You study in Warsaw? Do you know Mania? We should get together!

--Marek

Marek K:
Yup. I'm with the U.S. Embassy here.

I think I had relatives who lived in Zyrardow. And an aunt who lived in Milanowek I think, right next door to you. Zofia Matyjek... maybe you knew of her?

My father was born in Radziejowice in 1902.

You study in Warsaw? Do you know Mania? We should get together!

So you work in the US Embassy in Warsaw? So you are one of those who grant (or not) Visa for Poles? :) I have to get one, always don't have time to go there. At the beggining of every year some airlines have nice promotions but... most Caribbeans connections are with the stopover in United States and as far as I am concerned it doesn't matter if you have just transfer there, you have to have Visa :(

To be honest I know much more people from Warsaw than from Zyrardow :) But I know this places and especially Radziejowice is very close to my heart. There is a castle where my Grandmother cooked for some important people. Also some of the important events (like mine communion or wedding of someone from my family) were organised there. It was very nice place but no idea how it look now as I wasn't there for some years.

Yes I study in Warsaw in Prywatna Wyzsza Szkola Businessu i Adminstracji (First Independent University of Business and Government in Poland).

I don't know Mania personally, just saw her posts on Forum-Nuras (polish forum about diving).

Cheers,
Sebastian.

stiwi:
So you work in the US Embassy in Warsaw? So you are one of those who grant (or not) Visa for Poles? :)
Actually, no. I don't work in the consulate visa section. And wouldn't want to... it's hard to say "no" to people, even when you're certain they're... um... not putting the whole truth on their visa applications.

I think the rejection rate is still somewhere around 40%, and I also know the rejections are based not on hunches, but on good evidence -- forged documents. And once you're in the database as having fraudulently applied, that's it.

Unfortunately. If that rejection rate comes down to 5%, I think, then U.S. law would allow visas to be waived.

Best advice if you want to come for a visit is, complete the visa application online on the Embassy web site before printing it out. Fill it out completely; every block. If something doesn't apply, put in "NA" (not applicable)... but don't leave anything blank.

Follow all instructions on the application.

Then when you come in for your interview, bring any and all evidence you have showing that you'll be returning to Poland after your tourist stay. Proof of employment, or in your case proof of studies.

Yes, unfortunately it's a bit of "guilty until proven innocent." But that's the law. Neither State Department nor even the President can change that. Congress would have to change the law.
stiwi:
most Caribbeans connections are with the stopover in United States and as far as I am concerned it doesn't matter if you have just transfer there, you have to have Visa
That doesn't sound right. There must be transit visas; or you may not even need a visa if you're just transferring from one flight to another, without going through Customs and Immigration. Basides, A U.S. visa is still $100, which is a huge chunk of money for Poland.
stiwi:
Radziejowice is very close to my heart. There is a castle where my Grandmother cooked for some important people. Also some of the important events (like mine communion or wedding of someone from my family) were organised there. It was very nice place but no idea how it look now as I wasn't there for some years.
I know that castle -- palace, actually. We buried my parents' ashes at the cemetary in Radzejowice in 2000. Polish military funeral -- honor guard from Warsaw and everything. My father was a Polish Air Force officer before and during WWII. Very impressive. And we had the reception dinner afterwards at that palace for the extended family.

--Marek

Marek K:
Best advice if you want to come for a visit is, complete the visa application online on the Embassy web site before printing it out. Fill it out completely; every block. If something doesn't apply, put in "NA" (not applicable)... but don't leave anything blank.
[...]
That doesn't sound right. There must be transit visas; or you may not even need a visa if you're just transferring from one flight to another, without going through Customs and Immigration. Basides, A U.S. visa is still $100, which is a huge chunk of money for Poland.
--Marek

Of course you are right it is palace not castle, sorry for my mistake.
Thank you for advice about visa. To be honest I have never heard about transit visas concering United States, for all trips with transfers in US there is a note that you must have Visa, no one mention about transit visa - if would be so I wouldn't care. But if you say so I will try to check it by calling Embassy.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

stiwi:
Of course you are right it is palace not castle, sorry for my mistake.
Yeah... It's even tougher in German... they use "Schloss" for both "castle" and "palace," though the word really should be used for "palace." "Castle" is more-properly "Burg."

But "zamek" and "pałac" are completely different! :wink:
stiwi:
for all trips with transfers in US there is a note that you must have Visa, no one mention about transit visa - if would be so I wouldn't care. But if you say so I will try to check it by calling Embassy.
You may be right, though it still doesn't sound right. $100 for a visa, just so you have the privilege :06: of transferring flights at JFK Airport in New York??

I'll ask someone tomorrow, if I remember.

--Marek

Back
Top Bottom