Newbie and sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kasper wendelboe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. Im owd from denmark. I have 24 logged dives. Havent been diving in currents. Or Any deeper than 13,5 meters. I dont fear sharks. I respect Them and adore Them. So My question now. Were could i anywere in the world either dive in less deep waters or snorkel with sharks.... Not cat sharks or Whale sharks. It seems Africa and the blues and makos Are more a Lucky Thing. Because animals and weather does their own. Were would i be most certain to se sharks, and within My newbie range?

Put some chopped up 5-day old tuna in your wetsuit and you will be a shark magnet at whichever depth you choose to snorkel/dive at nearly anywhere in the world.

:crafty:

-Z

Bahamas

You will get lots of suggestions for "the best place" that reflects the experience/travels of the posters.

I would suggest you come up with a list of the types of sharks you want to see. Certainly here in Sydney there are sites within newby range where you can almost guarantee certain species. Port Jackson sharks, Wobbygong and Dusky Whaler sharks are common. Grey Nurse sharks (called snaggletooth sharks in some international locations) have aggregation sites here and close by. Great White Sharks cage diving is commonly done on the West coast. There are successful Whale shark diving destinations. Other areas will offer various types of Reef sharks, lemon sharks and tiger sharks.

The east coast of Florida, particularly around Jupiter, is well known for having a large shark population. Though I have not yet gone on any shark dives, I'm anxious to do so. Being one of the most traveled tourist destinations in the United States, you'll find a lot of cheap flights here and we have plenty of great dive spots all over the state.

Generically - (there are exceptions) the E. FL coast shark dives are deeper, baited and can have some currents Emerald Charters | Jupiter Scuba Diving at it's Best does them.

I'd recommend the Bahamas also. Stuart Coves on Nassau does a feed it about 40' of water but even if you don't like the "canned" aspect of it - the sharks hang around the nearby shallow wrecks (some are movie props) much of the time and exhibit a more natural behavior. Shark Diving - Stuart Cove's

There's a yearly Lemon Shark migration off Bimini - I don't remember the timeframe. We dove a couple other shallow (40') sites there and saw reef sharks daily. Also there's Hammerhead diving there - Bimini Bahamas Hammerhead Shark Diving Encounters & Dive Rates

If you're sure you're not intimidated by them - there's Tiger Beach off Grand Bahama. You dive there with up to 20 25' big Tiger Sharks - many of which have names. Also there's usually some equally large Lemon sharks The intinidating part is when the "bump" you. - one sometimes decides your camera is interesting enough to mouth - let him....https://www.epicdiving.com/https://www.epicdiving.com/ and another operator do it from shore - or the Bahamas Aggressor goes there - Aggressor® | Official Site | Liveaboards, Safaris & River Cruises

Also UNEXSO on Grand Bahama runs reef shark feed dives. And dolphin dives. Bahamas Scuba Diving & Interactive Dolphin Activities

When you have 10X the dives you do now book a liveaboard to either Cocos Island (off Costa Rica) or the Socorros Islands sw of Mexico. Both are deeper, higher current, live drops from tenders and Soccoros is an all day trip to get there. My buddy did it, you'll see reef sharks, schooling hammerheads, dolphins, whales in season, sea lions, Whale Sharks and interact with about a dozen Mantas - all in the same week. google Solmar V's website/Youtube channel - they post weekly highlights videos. My buddy went on the Rocio Del Mar. The boats leave from Cabo San Lucas, MX. I have heard there's direct flights from some of the Euro hub cities.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom