Newbee'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozzydamo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Greetings Aquanauts!
:)
I was young spear fisherman for about 10years(not guns, just a haminex 9' single piece fibreglass handspear/sling with a 6point pranger head, just shore based at the time, smaller fish in my area, so it was the wisest weapon for the job). I have extensive skindiving experience from the rocks in and out in some big seas at time off the NSW south coast- use to hand feed banded morwong sea urchins, not spear them :)
I kept my spearfishing to sustainable fishes like sand whiting, bream, luderick, drummer(rock blackfish) and sand flathead. Ben Cropp's skin diving handbook was my bible at ten years old!

Breathing whilst submerged was a little bit scary and exciting at first, now I live for the next time to go scuba diving! Its been a longtime dream finally realized and now I am going full sick with it!
I have got a 5.5m plate alloy boat, with yammy1004stk and I am now preparing to dive out of my vessel. I did my PADI OW ticket last year this time and on 24th I go back to Thailand to do my AOW working towards a divemaster ticket.
Bought a few thing so far(everything good is pretty pricy $$$ in scuba diving)
So far this is what I bought-
Mares 42 carbon reg and occy, mares puck2 computer&spc,spring suit, fins, mask and snorkle.
Still confused with BCD's but it looking like the mares dragon at mrs ATM.

I have been reading for a longtime here and I am very grateful for those who have shared their knowledge and experiences, both good and bad. I look forward to posting some of my own experiences with diving.
Happy and safe diving to you all,
Damo'
:D

Welcome to the world of scuba diving; its amazing how many people say they became totally addicted after their first Open Water Dives and its also great to see that you are wanting to challenge yourself by taking on the professional development and becoming a PADI Divemaster it will be a great learning experience for you.

With regard to the Mares dragon, they are certainly very popular BCDs with the professional level divers as they are hard wearing, comfortable, have high lift capacity and plenty of D rings. Make sure however for your professional training you are using the BCD you will be most comfortable with as you will be using it day in day out. Maybe see what equipment is available at the location where you are doing your training and im sure the dive shop will have a few items available to try out before you hurry into anything!

BLUE SEASON BALI
Diving Bali | Dive Courses Bali
PADI Member Award Winner 2010; Outstanding Dive Center 2010
Commitment to Instructor Development 2010

Join us on facebook

Yes, I am now scuba junkie material!
:popcorn:
Thanks for the welcomes and words; brother and sister Aquanauts!
:coffee:
Its hard to know whats the best gear for you as a newbee' so I follow the average of the more experienced in the mob.
One instructor I respected said he prefers bpsww for fun diving, but for being in the pool training "newbees" he prefers a jacket style BC. So really just like my fishing gear(I own over 25 different and very expensive outfits) this bcd is just the beginning for me of a long and painful finance bleed.....I hear the sales side is where the real money is and I love to talk and listen!
But to be honest, having my own boat, a good experienced buddy and an ol'mate who doesn't dive, but loves to just be out on the water--------- Raking up dives is my first priority!!!
I just bought four 7y.o ally tanks(12lt) which are now being hydro tested and a valve service for $100 a pop, look like they been looked after too.
Looking at the prices I've paid on stuff it is a good time to buy for an Aussie, I give some examples-
Mares dragon MRS AT- $549aud (Some paid $1700usd for the"old" dragonfly* the fly is about the dollars outta of the wallet probably).
Mission puck2 for $275
Mares carbon 42 reg- $645
Carbon 42 occy-$220
Mares 3/2mm shorty spring suit $79
X-vision mask 2nd skin $80

For under $2500 I have got from head to toe complete scuba set(weights, sausage and whistle everything)
Top of the range stuff, with 4 good 12lt cylinders.....I reckon thats a lucky start for a newbee'
Not from any one shop, using the net to ferret the best price, ringing up and haggling too! Those salespeople must hate me. Some of you are probably jealous too!
:eyebrow:
Addict, 4shure!
:mooner:
Shiny and Nue'
Now, I am paying people for air, I must be mad!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom