Newbe help needed with Presciption mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoMutts

New
Reaction score
# of dives
My son and I have started our OW course and we are planning on going to Sea Base in June with our troop for a week of diving. The mask I got from the LDS where we are getting certified is a Deep See Edgeless Tri-view. This is the one the fits the best and it most comfortable. The LDS said they can have prescription lens bounded in for about $250 (or $350 if I go with bi-focal). I am nearsighted with a moderate astigmatism.

My prescription is not too severe, it is a -2.0 & -2.5 and by bifocal is a +125

Is this a reasonable price for this service? Are there other options i could go with to keep the costs down some?

I am not locked into this mask, the LDS said I could exchange or return it if it does not work out.

Thanks for any info/help/advice.

I have a mask from Atomic Aquatics that has my prescription built in. I like the mask. Might be an option to check out. Also I think the mask with prescription lenses was about 200.

Hi newbe,
I am a certified diver, and I can tell you it is better to inverst in mask that will fit you for many years (if you think that your prescription is stable). Also the bifocal is absolutely useful if you plan to be an advanced diver ans you need to be able to read your dive computer! Shop around, you might get better price, but always take the one that you fill most comfortable in...

Hi newbe,
I am a certified diver, and I can tell you it is better to inverst in mask that will fit you for many years (if you think that your prescription is stable). Also the bifocal is absolutely useful if you plan to be an advanced diver ans you need to be able to read your dive computer! Shop around, you might get better price, but always take the one that you fill most comfortable in...

@ a +1.25 Add(bifocal power), his Rx is not stable.....

First decide if you need the bifocal. If not, then perhaps consider masks for which you can get pre-made prescription lenses that swap in. Will limit your choice of masks (and your current shop may not have "the mask") but if you can find one of this type that fits it may be worth considering. I expect this would be cheaper than custom, and if your prescription changes relatively easy to change (at least as long as the lenses are available.)

Get "readers" from prescription dive masks. About $100, and only the bottom half is corrected. You may find the astigmatism is much less noticeable underwater. I know I did.

Our LDS offered a Mares mask with swap out lenses for $155. I was sceptical, but they put the lenses in and they seemed good in the shop, so I bought it and have done over 100 dives with it and am very happy. I am thinking of adding some of the glue in readers as my near prescription is getting worse.

The LDS said they can have prescription lens bounded in for about $250 (or $350 if I go with bi-focal). I am nearsighted with a moderate astigmatism.

Yes, I went with PrescriptiondiveMasks.com last year for my 3rd such mask and as a single focal it was nearly that much with outbound shipping. The dive shop probably gets a wholesale price but you won't do much better there on your own.

Since tou have "considerable" astigmatism the bonded inlays are the way to go. modular solutions won't serve you well with cylinder correction greater than 1.

Avoid the bifocal if you can. Try some single focal glasses (dept store reading glasses right on the rack) see if you can read well enough with those. You will pick up another 1 diopter or so and may be able to skip the near vision.

My first mask was a bifocal. Since our visibility is limited we tend to be drawn in close to things near. The near vision of the mask was great causing me to swim nose down like an anteater. The view was great and it was awesome buoyancy training. A single focal mask fixed my trim.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom