newb needs reg recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hard to beat Scubapro for performance and service availability. but there are many good regs.

If you don't mind the idea of used gear, you should be able to find high performance gear in your price range. A good example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3609408215&category=16056

If you insist on new, then take a look at online dealers to get a feel for value before you go dealing with LDSs. Most will say damn near anything to scare you away from Leisurepro except, "Sure, I can compete with that price." But a few will give a good shot at competeing, so see what is in your area. A Mk2/R190/R190 octo would serve you well at a fairly modest price. I would look at Oceanic gauges including a basic air computer. vacation diving without a computer will probably limit your bottom times. While that is a pretty basic setup, it's not like a marriage. You should plan on upgrading in the future (2 to 5 years) with the old kit relagated to back up or pony bottle use. Nothing wrong with the best, if you can afford it. But more modest performance will leave you some $$ for diving.

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably gonna stick go with a Mk25. Got a question, though. Besides price, what is the difference between the S550, G250, and the S600? Which one is better? As for the octo, R380 or R190? Also been looking about threads regarding online vs lds....Wow! Talk about a heated topic. TIA.:)

The main difference is the ease of breathing. The 600 is one of the easiest breathing regs I have ever used. I got to try the new 650 at DEMA and can't wait until they ship. But my 600 is a tried and true reg. Easier breathing regs are essential to good air consumption.

:doctor:

Difference between R190 and R380 is $$ and size. The internal design that effects performance is identical.

S600, S550, G250, and G250HP are all similiar in basic design - all are balanced barrel poppets . Doubt if you can even find a new G250 any more. I believe the S600 and the G250HP are like the 2 R-series regs - functionally identical innards with different size cases. The S550 and S600 have same size cases but with different balancing mechanisms. S600 is adjustable and appears to be more fully balanced than the S550. It looks like the S600 actually has 2 balance chambers and a lighter spring than the S550.

I have a G500 (predesessor to S600) and have found the ajustment knob to be useful in strong current to reduce freeflow. Also, since I do my own servicing without the prescribed adjustment tools, I find the adjustment capability lets me correct minor adjustment errors and performance problems.

I just bought this reg, don't have it yet so I can't give any real info on it, but I went with the diaphram 1st stage to give me better environmental protection because of the cold conditions I'm likely to be diving in. I got that with the R190 octo for under $400 which puts it squarely in the mid-range, pricewise.

The MK16/R380 is also a good reg (well reviewed by rodales) and is a little less expensive.

I talked to a bunch of people and everyone seems to agree that Scubapro makes a superior regulator so I'm pretty confident that I'll have good luck with it. I'll let you all know how it goes once I get it and take it to water.

Happy shopping!

Rachel

I have a Mk25/S600?R380 and like it. I have only rental regs to compare it to so I hesitate to say I love it. I had it in 52 degree water on Sunday with out a hitch and I am not sure I am likely to venture out in much colder water...unless I get a drysuit. I have a little over $600 invested in the whole setup which is too awful. From my experience in a pool though, my R380 breathes nearly as well if not better than the S600 but I am going to drop it off to have it tweaked a bit before I head to Boanaire.

Biscuit7 where did you end up getting your reg at? Will you have it for this weekend when you go to Blue Springs?

I won't have it this weekend, I took too much time ordering it. I'll be diving a borrowed Abyss. I'll want to take it out pretty soon after I get it to try it out before heading back to Gilboa.

Let me know what's shakin'

Are you going to be able to get to Blue Springs on Saturday?

R

Thanks for the help. This is is what I've decided so far:

SP Mk25/S550
R190 Octo

Now, also thinking of getting a Uwatec Smart Pro console...any opinion on this? Anything that works just as well but just a little bit less? Talked to someone while doing my OW cert and he likes this, of course that's all he's had. TIA

P.S. I know....computer rots your brains :D

I have the smart pro wrist and love it. Its easy to read and the only thing I haven't figured out yet is the dive planning function which I really don't need any way. I would consider the the wrist version, but really it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom