new york city?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raposarose

Reaction score
Just after getting certified in my hometown of San Diego and falling in love with diving my fiancee is talking about going to New York City as a possibility for grad school. We lived there before and I liked it, but that was before diving... Right here we can just go shore diving every weekend if we want and I love the beaches.

I finally got my own BP/Wings and regulator set. All I need now is a tank and I'll have everything -- all set to go diving on a more regular basis. She is looking into getting her own gear too.

So here is the thing -- what is diving like in that area? I am not going to have to give up my new passion am I? Will we have to get dry suits? Right now we have two piece 6.5 mm suits.

Tell me it ain't so. I saw dive shops when I used to live in NYC so there must be divers. I just hope the shops aren't just for those who can afford frequent jaunts to tropical locales.

Thanks,
Fox

I love diving here, and am sure you won't be disappointed. Unless you're a drysuit wearing hardcore dive junkie like Vadim or Wreckdiver2, you'll have to take a few months off in the winter. Other than that you'll find plenty of diving to satisfy your passion.

We have dive boats galore, wrecks, artificial reefs, shore dives and Dutch Springs, which is like a freshwater amusement park for divers.

Dry suits are optional up here if you don't want to dive in winter. I've been diving locally for going on eight years now, and never owned one. I use a 7mil one piece. My Fiance', who gets colder than I do, uses a one piece "semi dry" which is just a high end wetsuit. A lot of the guys really love their drysuits though, especially the ones who dive Dutch Springs often, which tends to be colder than the ocean.

Be sure to stop down at Village Divers in NYC too.

Scott

Well a dry suit will be nice - I know a lot of divers who use a 7mm.

We have lots of cool wrecks here

The only problem is you need a car to get out to the boats and not many people in NYC can keep a car !

Diving here is great. I'm fairly new to it and love it. Tons to see and do. There is a new website starting northeast wreck divers and its all of us from the northeast. Don't worry it's great.

Hey Scottyk hows the move going?

cheers

You are not far from great diving here in NYC. Even if you don't have a car, u can take a subway to Sheepshead Bay to dive boats. Or schedule with other dive shops that have RT services. I dive dry and all year, u will not have any problems finding dive buddies or trips. Let us know if we can help.

Izzy

Oversea- Still scheduled for February or March. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Raposarose- You'll find rides if you need them. Lots of good folks in this group.

Scott

ScottyK, thanks for the compliment!

6.5 two peice is good enough. That's what I had been using before my dryusuit. But I was still cold during spring and early summer dives, so I opted for a drysuit, which was just more conifrtable for me, but by all menas, if you have 6.5 two peice, you will be just fine! If you want a use steel tank, I may sell mine in the spring.

-Vadim

Good to know that diving won't be something that I have to give up when I move out there again.

Thanks for the ride offers, advice, and kind words. I was worried because my friend from the Bronx who is certified said he did all his dives in a quarry in PA.

Vadim, I may have to take you up on that steel tank offer. I don't think I'll be out there until the summer though.

Now I am excited. I had to greatly reduce how much I did one of my hobbies (capoeira angola -- the African/Brazilian martial art and dance) when I came to San Diego. Now that I picked up scuba diving I can keep doing both when we head back to NYC. Now all my fiancee has to do is get a fellowship to go back to school...

Fox

Hey, Just looke dat your picture! are you a Rasta? my gf is Jamaican dread and also a diver. that's why I asked...

I also do martial arts, but japanese karate... let me know once you are in NY. we'll hook up for some diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom