New Year's Dive - Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jchoby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everbody,

Several of Rec2tec divers will be diving Gilboa on New Year's Day. Anybody else gonna joing the fray? Perhaps we can coordinate on a few things..hot drinks, food, fire pit...etc. Should be a fun, albeit chilly, day. Last year a pretty big gaggle of folks showed up for a couple of dives.

Hope to C YA there

JC

Hubby and I told the family we were diving so as long as we aren't sick we'll be there.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Hubby and I told the family we were diving so as long as we aren't sick we'll be there.

Me too....

I'll bring my 10 x 10 tent and my little Procat propane heaters, they help take the chill off but probably aren't powerful enough to make it really warm in the tent that time of year. If anyone has a bigger heater (kerosene or propane) bring it along.

Ber Rabbit:
I'll bring my 10 x 10 tent and my little Procat propane heaters, they help take the chill off but probably aren't powerful enough to make it really warm in the tent that time of year. If anyone has a bigger heater (kerosene or propane) bring it along.

My son left his kerosene heater here when he moved to Oregon. Think that might work?

Now, since I don't have any experience with it, where do I get kerosene?

Also, where might I get walls for my (I believe 10x10) canopy? If I get walls for mine, maybe we can set them up like at the Halloween dive???

Ken

I'm breaking my tradition of a New Year's dive at Gilboa this year (unless things change). I have a chance to dive a recently discovered wreck out in Lake Erie providing that the weather is decent and will likely be driving to upstate NY through Canada on New Year's eve.

Have fun!!

Notso_Ken:
My son left his kerosene heater here when he moved to Oregon. Think that might work?

Now, since I don't have any experience with it, where do I get kerosene?

Also, where might I get walls for my (I believe 10x10) canopy? If I get walls for mine, maybe we can set them up like at the Halloween dive???

Ken

Try some inexpensive tarps for the walls, zip-tie them to the upright pieces to seal it as best you can.

Kerosene is usually sold at gas staions, not sure where else, call a few and see. Or contact some camping/hunting stores: Dicks, Gander Mountain, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck, hope you all stay relatively warm.

You need a blue can for the kerosene :) Some hardware stores might have it to, mom used to go to Ballweg True Value Hardware south of New Carlisle on 235 but I don't know if they still have it.

Tarps with grommets and a set of bungee cords with toggle balls work well to make sides too. You don't have to cut them to take them down like you would with zip ties. We could probably make a set-up like that work :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom