New Years Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Jan. 1, 2015 - BLUE LIP DIP NEW YEARS DAY DIVE
THURSDAY Jan. 1, 2015 - BLUE LIP DIP NEW YEARS DAY DIVE (AKA NOT SEACONNS FROZEN FIN DIVE) JAN 1, 2015 Giant Stride Dive Shop will be starting the New Year off with a dive at Fort Weatherill. There's always a good turn out for this event as it's lots of fun and most years Mother Nature has been kind to us! Diving will start at around 11:00 am so please arrive early to secure a parking spot. This is a Pot Luck event and a dish and BYOB is encouraged. I will have a tent with a heater and hopefully will see you there. If its pouring rain or blowing a gale we will cancel. Please RSVP so we know how many are to expect. Happy Holidays and a fantastic New Year. I will be diving wet as is the custom for this event but "Drysuit weenies" are welcome as well. Come on out even if your not diving and hang out with friends.

I can't believe you're diving wet! No wait, I totally believe you're diving wet. :). What are the water temps these days?

Last week I read the water surface temp was a balmy 43F. It'll be a short dive; I'm there for the food! :) Come on down bring something and enjoy the day.

Last week I read the water surface temp was a balmy 43F. It'll be a short dive; I'm there for the food! :) Come on down bring something and enjoy the day.

Jordan
I will be with the OCA gang. Stop over. I plan to be up late tonight so I don't think I will dive but I will be there at some point.
Hey did you hear that we are getting a new shop in Jamestown?

I'll see you there. I did hear some talk about a dive shop in Jamestown but when I heard who the alleged owner would be I dismissed it as a rumor. I don't think he even goes to Jamestown any more never mind opening a business there.

---------- Post added January 1st, 2015 at 08:00 PM ----------

Dive2042 1-1-2015 FTW surface temp 40F @ 20FSW 35F 22fsw max depth for 30 min. Happy New Year! Starting my 45th year of diving. :)

I was there today, the water was cold but I dove wet. I was disappointed I didn't put my steel hundred on, once I was in the water it wasn't bad at all temperature wise. I ran down the my steel 72 very quickly, because it only had a partial fill to start ( I had taken it for a night dive that I aborted after 10 minutes in October). The major downer for the day was that I lost a weight pouch going in. Someone had lost their mask while I was going in and I was helping them look for it. I think he weight slipped out there. When I tried to swim out I was 6 lb light and had trouble getting down. At the time I thought it was just air trapped in the hooded dive vest.

for anyone interested in was wearing a 5mm semi-dry suit, a dive skin underneath and a 5/2 mm hooded vest. A good idea for diving wet in cold water is to bring a gallon jug of hot water with you. Pour the water inside the wetsuit, boots and gloves. much better to have warm water cool of than warming cold water.

Back
Top Bottom