New Years Day Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mack Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We'll be starting the year off right with the annual New Years Day dive.

Our own Carlislere will be leading the dive for the 10th year in a row. This year we'll be making the dive from Bob Wentz (LCRA Windy Point) park. Its alot easier to get in and out of the water there.

The fun starts at 12:00 Noon. I'm bringing a pit for anyone who wants to cook up some treats. :popcorn: Bring your own beverage. :coffee: Be sure to call the shop if you need to rent a tank or any gear.

Hey, Mack, I'm new to this thread. What shop do you work for/own?

We dove Travis last Friday. The water temp was a balmy 59 degrees pretty much from the surface to 92 feet. :wink: I think the water was actually warmer than the air temp. :)

We'll be out there New Years Day with one group or another, but I'd like to at least meet some of ya'll. How will we know this group other than the beer drinkin' and hell raisin' after the dives? :D

Hey Mack, Any signup/waiver stuff required? I hope to be joining y'all out there, hopefully with new uw camera housing. May be looking for a buddy though, some of my regulars are coldwater/lowviz impaired.

Also plan to stop in on 30th to look at and hopefully buy a pair of booties and the hooded vest we were discussing, probably looking for sizing in vest either ML or L, 10-11 Mens in the booties, something over the ankle and zippered with a good sole, either 5 or 7 mm.

Those longer and longer walks to the lake have taken there toll on my circa 1980 booties, soles are going fast. Maybe some gloves too, something simple in 5 or 7 mm.

Matt

PS k-valve, Mack owns Oak Hill Scuba down by the Y in SW Austin...

Sorry for the delayed response.

As Jay said, I own Oak Hill Scuba in south Austin. It's on 290 West, out towards oak hill.

Matt, You need to sign up if you're going to rent a tank or any other gear. There is no waiver, you go out there and dive on your own free will. This is just a bunch of folks starting the new year with a dive.

It would be great if everyone brought some food to eat / share. I'll have a grill out there to cook burgers, dogs, whatever.

So far there is about 7 or so of us that will be there. The more divers the better.

Hey Mack, I am planning on being out there, and will try to drag one or two others along as well, but many are hard to convince to leave couch and tv to go swim in 58 degree water :confused:

I will also be in the shop on Saturday to check out your hooded vest and booties selection and some extra weight. Hopefully will find something I like and be able to dive it on monday .
Burgers for the grill sounds good, but I think I will bring some brats, kraut, and good mustard, along with some post dive beer to wash it down with.

Just found out that bro' is going to Ft. Worth for New Years, so I will not have a vehicle to use New Years Day. He just doesn't get diving in Travis, much less diving Travis in Jan.:wink: Same for most of my current crop of friends who dive and are in town. Guess I'll have to find buddy as well as ride.

Is anyone from NW Austin/RR/Cedar Park area going to be headed out to WP with room for another diver and gear? I'll pay the entry at park, share my Brats & Beer, and kick in on gas for ride to and from WP. I live just across 620 from Dive World 1, about 2 blocks into 'hood.

My oil leak on 4Runner would leave slick on WP if I drove it out there, is currently parked till repaired. New work vehicle won't be here till new year, probably some time next week.

So until then I will work from home office, or ride with other tech if required in field, and bike gets me to store and back OK, living short walk/ride from Lakeline mall means no hassles shopping or dining out, but bike suckage major for hauling gear to lake.

So anyone able to help a fellow diver out? I have new camera housing to be tried, hopefully a new set of booties and hooded vest by monday. Plus my new light has only been wet once and then was so bright at depth I was diving it was not really needed.
All this great equipment and unable to dive it :(

I would like to do two dives, first a short one to fair depth, after perhaps a bit of bouyancy adjustment for new neoprene, to try out light and to test new housing without camera in place, then a longer but slightly shallower dive to cruise around taking pics after loading camera in housing(provided no leaks on test run, if leaks, then 2nd dive will be sans pics).

Matt

Great to see everyone and get a dive in yesterday, was a beautiful day to be out at Windy Point:), despite losing my jet in the shallows while trying to clean the clay off of them :( At least I achieved my primary objectives for dive, a succesful test of new housing to depth without camera, and proving to myself and others that I was still crazy enough about diving to dive travis on new years.

Thanks to Mack for getting this together, and to his unfortunately absent(out with cold) wife for her wonderful 'Texas Dive Flag' cake.

I checked with dad, and he still has a single jet left at his place in Tenn. and will ship it down to match my remaining jet, so will still have a pair of original '70s jets, just not the original pair. But if anyone finds a jet out at WP, please pm me.

Plus, may go ahead and look at another pair of fins anyway, my jets didn't fit my new heavy soled 7mm booties anyway, ended up wearing my old worn out pair with some neoprene socks.

Thanks to all who came out for the dive yesterday. We had ten hearty souls get in their first dive of the year. Shaggie was first in - first out since he had to get home. Several of us stayed on shore to keep watch and prep the food. I chose to stay dry since my wife had the cold and I was starting to feel the effects coming on. I promise to do a cold water dive soon.

The food was great! We had sausage, burgers, appitizers and loads of dessert. My wife's Texas Dive Flag cake was a big hit. I got a few pics and will post them soon.

Back
Top Bottom