New XS fusion 2 mask mini review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
As a member of the "baby boomer" generation I am well past forty and getting closer to fifty years of age.
Inevitably my ability to read at anything out to the distance of my outstretched fingers is getting pretty poor and of course underwater this situation is even more pronounced.

A few years ago I tried several types of "stick on" reader lenses, despite being carefully installed in my primary mask all fell off after a dive or two.

I had then fitted my mask with prescription gauge reader lenses at enormous cost and because I now need a new mask was recently about to do this again ($250 to fit 2 lenses to a $60 mask??!!)
While looking for an alternative and lamenting the apparent ignorance of mask manufacturers to the fact that so many of us now need "readers" I came across an advertisement for the XS Fusion 2 mask.

On inspection in a local dive shop I found this mask to be less comfortable than other softer silicone skirt masks and somewhat larger than I am used too!

Not to be put off I purchase it and conducted the usual glass cleaning drill with toothpaste and detergent.

Now, a few dives later I am ready to report:

The mask is very solidly made with good quality fittings and glass lenses.
The reader lenses give me enough magnification to read all gauges/ computers/ camera controls and are at a great angle to see what's happening in the chest area.

It is a lot more comfortable than I first thought and in fact now that it is "broken in" dose not leave a mark on my face after a dive and hasn't leaked a drop (although this of course depends on individual fit to face!)

The mask is fairly large volume and does take a good large breath to completely clear if flooded or removed, this may be an issue for rebreather divers. But in reality we get through most dives without flooding masks, don't we!?

Conclusion:
Provided it is a good fit to face I believe this mask offers great value for the mature diver, other mask manufacturers should take note and stop ignoring a generation of divers that must represent a huge proportion of the market.

I second the recommendation. I've posted on this previously here.
Note, though, that this is specifically the "guage reader" MA280 model, the Fusion 2 is a line of masks that includes some with no magnifier. See
XS Scuba Fusion 2 gauge Reader Mask, #MA280 from LeisurePro.com

I find it comfortable and it solves my guage reading problem.
Very good price at LP, especially if you call them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom