New wreck in Gozo, Malta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miyaru

Technical instructor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
On the 10th of February 2018, the oil tanker M/T Hephaestus was wrecked on the shore at il-Ponta tal-Qawra, off St. Paul’s Bay in Malta at 6:15am.
According to the accident report (attached), she had been dragging her anchor since 05:30. At 0600, windspeed was 35.5 knots with gusts up to 52.7 knots (Force 10), coming from N/NW. The crew failed to start the engine in time, and the storm eventually threw the Hephaestus on the shore.

2018.jpg

On August 15, 2018, the ship was pulled off the shore and refloated:

Repairs turned out to be too costly and preparations were started to scuttle the wreck as a diving attraction and artificial reef.

transport.jpg

On the early morning of August the 29th, the vessel was towed to her final resting position south of Gozo at Xatt l-Aħmar.

Below is the video of the scuttling and the first inspection dive.

GPS position is 36.0700364,14.2612405
Maximum depth is 44.5m at the stern, top deck is at 32m depth.

Attachments

• MT-Hephaestus_Final-Safety-Investigation-Report.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 94
Amazing. That didn't give them much time to prep the wreck for sinking as a dive attraction. It would take WAAAY longer just to get permits and inspections in the US.

The video makes it look like she was going down on her port side. I was surprised that she landed upright. Do you have any idea what turned her on the way down?

My understanding is that given enough depth most wrecks right themselves as they sink and end up upright. Once they are full of water the weight of the keel causes them to "land on their feet". It is only in quite shallow water where they cannot equalize before hitting bottom that they land in weird positions.

My understanding is that given enough depth most wrecks right themselves as they sink and end up upright. Once they are full of water the weight of the keel causes them to "land on their feet". It is only in quite shallow water where they cannot equalize before hitting bottom that they land in weird positions.

That is less true in modern merchant vessels. I have seen a lot of wrecks on their side and upside down in far deeper water. For example, the 700' long Andrea Doria is laying on her starboard side in 240' of water. It all comes down to the center of gravity and center of buoyancy, which can be very dynamic when sinking.

That may be a function of compartmentalization. The Doria was a modern passenger liner with extensive subdivisions and so would have taken longer to reach equilibrium. In addition, she sank in a couple hundred feet of water, so shallow relative to her length.

The taker in the OP has probably only two compartments that account for most of her volume and so once progressive downflooding took over very quickly came to equalibrium.

The answer is in the video

Either the salvage master was REALLY good or was having an "Oh Sh*t!" moment... probably both. :wink:

Related info​

A lot of modern ships come with computer programs for stability in the wheelhouse, which are provided by the marine architect. I have heard that salvage masters can them to model intentional sinkings but have not seen it done. Older ships just had tables or charts that stop well before sinking occurs.

This video is a decent introduction to ship stability calculations.

Will have to add this to my list for next time!

was a nice dive there. Middle of october
on the stern it sunks down to 49 meter/160feet

Attachments

• IMG_4511.JPG
    IMG_4511.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4510.JPG
    IMG_4510.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4502.JPG
    IMG_4502.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 61