New wreck found Off Portwashington,WI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneysavr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey guys&Gals,
done it found a new wreck,well old but not found for a long time! she has her anchor ect,will post photos!
South of Portwashington,Wi.
By ME!!!!!!
Brad

Ok this is nuts,Some quick photos I took,Im sure this is the wreck Mahoning a Brig Lost in 1864,Near PortUlao Wisc,.I did some search several weekends ago ,got a good hit on my $60 Fish sonar unit,did the dive TODAY after I droped a E-bay undewater cam first! We were on top of her!
The wreck is flat due to the water depth,But not stripped of stuff like other wrecks,she still has her anchor! and artifacts!
And I found her and have the photos and date stamp,and did get our dive club to drop on her too! Urge to submerge now has a new wreck to dive out of Portwashington,Wi
Thanks to me!
Brad
some quick photos!
Man this is going to be GREAT!

The anchors were supposedly recovered from the Mahoning in 1865, according to David Swayze's shipwreck database. Maybe they missed one? Or maybe this is another wreck? Either way, congratulations on your find!

-Tiny-B.

Congradulations. This is exciting. Keep us posted with your 'new' find

Ken

Tiny Bubbles:
The anchors were supposedly recovered from the Mahoning in 1865, according to David Swayze's shipwreck database. Maybe they missed one? Or -Tiny-B.

Hi Tiny B,
Well the first thing I did after I got a new tank of O-2 was to run a tape on her and she is the right length, The second to see if she was a virgin was to trace the anchor chain off the windless and wam tucked so sweet under her bow was the anchor!
Did a Google and looks like the steam engines were a salvage and rigging,But tonight we found a steam engine! part of her cargo,so I am now a 100% sure this is her!
She is a virgin wreck with a large site to cover,
This will make Portwashington a Great site for divers to come up too with several great wrecks so close by,and now I know how the Great wreck finders felt,Like Bob B,Mel F, felt!
More to come,
Dive safe Guys/Gals!
Brad

Congtrats on your find. How deep is the wreck?

Congrat. Brad! This is awesome mr Ballard :D
Thanks for the dive I loved it!

Just got back from diving Material Service and Tacoma (for the third time this summer) when I noticed your post. Good going! Now I know what you have been doing with your time! How deep is the wreck??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom