New Wreck : F8F-1 Bearcat (Point Loma, CA -- 230 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
@California Diver and I have located another new airplane wreck in Southern California. This is one is almost completely intact. From the intro to the blog post:

We have located the wreck of a rare F8F-1 Bearcat airplane deep in the waters off of Point Loma, California. This post details the discovery of the wreck, identifying the type of airplane, and background information on the F8F Bearcat. While we haven’t yet conducted a follow-up dive to confirm the identity via a bureau number on the tail, we have a high confidence level, based on the evidence and research, that we have identified the specific airplane.​

All of the details, photos, photogrammetry model, etc. are in the post reference below:

Here is another teaser screenshot from the photogrammetry model:

model3.png

Epic!

- brett

There are some details in the post I referenced including images from sonar and sidescan (but the sidescan is from the boat and not towed underwater).

- brett
Thanks. I signed up for your blog. The cause of my interest is searching for ancient shipwrecks in the Aegean that an old sponge diver told me about a few years ago. As some are quite deep (he described a "graveyard of shipwrecks" starting at 100 meters), I need to make use of cost effective technology before putting together an expedition with the Greek government. They need something solid, more than hearsay from a sponge diver.

Thanks. I signed up for your blog. The cause of my interest is searching for ancient shipwrecks in the Aegean that an old sponge diver told me about a few years ago. As some are quite deep (he described a "graveyard of shipwrecks" starting at 100 meters), I need to make use of cost effective technology before putting together an expedition with the Greek government. They need something solid, more than hearsay from a sponge diver.

Got it. There are probably a ton of opinions on this, but a lot of it depends upon your budget.

The commercial "state of the art" is to use an underwater AUV and then follow up with a ROV on anything interesting and then dive it if it makes sense. Military probably has even more advanced stuff.

Another less expensive option is to use an underwater sidescan towfish which isn't a full blow AUV and then send down an ROV or diver.

For what you are trying to do, a hull mounted side scan won't be enough IMO.

This is an interesting article I found that provides a comparison of them:

Regards,

- brett

Got it. There are probably a ton of opinions on this, but a lot of it depends upon your budget.

The commercial "state of the art" is to use an underwater AUV and then follow up with a ROV on anything interesting and then dive it if it makes sense. Military probably has even more advanced stuff.

Another less expensive option is to use an underwater sidescan towfish which isn't a full blow AUV and then send down an ROV or diver.
This is probably the most practical option.
For what you are trying to do, a hull mounted side scan won't be enough IMO.
Agreed.
This is an interesting article I found that provides a comparison of them:

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Regards,

- brett

Great find, quite possibly my favorite aircraft of all time.

Thanks for your comments! You should consider signing up to the blog so you get updates whenever we publish something (which isn't too often). I try to remember to cross-post here but sometimes I forget.

- brett
Just did! What you do is exactly where I'd love my dive "career" to go. I love the use of photogrammetry with the wrecks as well as the cave blogs! I'm graduating from university in two months so hopefully I can get myself into a career that will allow me to progress there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom