New Wing Design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, let me say that EE and Halcyon have really done a great job of getting good gear to divers. I've enjoyed all the products I've bought through EE, and I think the Halcyon and EE designs are great. I also like the fact that the products are designed with DIR in mind (for the most part). The best part about Halcyon and EE is JJ. I have contacted him on a couple of occasions and he has always been right on top of the situation.

That being said, I feel that the pioneer wing could be improved by making it the same way as the explorer, an inside bladder with a protective bag over it.

Scott, I have used your STA and I love it. It's a great product, and I hope you keep it up. However, I've also seen the Halcyon wings that have the STA built in, and that is pretty cool as well. I think both products are fine.

If you guys are making a single tank wing, what kind of bladder will it have?

Also, would someone please make a decent dive knife? 420 steel, so it doesn't rust so easy, a line cutter on the top, a screwdriver tip that is not sharp so you can run it along the suit to find the line, and serrated heavily on the cutting side. the whole thing should be 4-5 inches. The knife should be one piece of stainless, with a handle that has holes so you can thread a line through it, this prevents rust but gives a nice grip. Then come up with a soft sheath that the knife doesn't fall out of.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
That being said, I feel that the pioneer wing could be improved by making it the same way as the explorer, an inside bladder with a protective bag over it.
I disagree. Firstly it would be near impossible to do with the Pioneer's circular bladder, and secondly it would probably mean the wing would have to be bigger (and more expensive?).

Also, would someone please make a decent dive knife? 420 steel, so it doesn't rust so easy, a line cutter on the top, a screwdriver tip that is not sharp so you can run it along the suit to find the line, and serrated heavily on the cutting side. the whole thing should be 4-5 inches. The knife should be one piece of stainless, with a handle that has holes so you can thread a line through it, this prevents rust but gives a nice grip. Then come up with a soft sheath that the knife doesn't fall out of.
I agree. Closest thing I've found is the Tusa FK-11.

BTW, Scott, when are we going to get a look at these new wings? They sound interesting..... :)

scottk once bubbled...

That's OK. There is the whole rest of the non-GUE world to attend to and dive with. I am a DIR diver and proponent as well, but I also recognize that a diver need not be joined to GUE at the hip, nor does one have to buy Halcyon gear to be DIR, that is simply pure Hogwash. DIR is a mindset, not a gear manufacturer or training agency.

SNIPPED SEVERAL GOOD BITS

Patrick’s double wing is head and shoulders above the Halcyon wing in craftsmanship and finish. Our new single wing is going to be considerably more streamlined than the Pioneer, better made, and more adjustable for perfect trim.

The difference being that we listen to other divers and address their needs, rather than snowing them with elitism and telling them what they have to dive in order to be cool.

Scott

Scott: thanks for an excellent post... when I started this thread, I expected to get some of the mindless sheep postings from people who know nothing about running a business and nothing about product development. Very interesting to read a thoughtful posting from someone who has experience in both areas.

Thanks

Doppler once bubbled...

Scott: thanks for an excellent post... when I started this thread, I expected to get some of the mindless sheep postings from people who know nothing about running a business...
...and insulting potential customers IS a way to run a business? Glad you weighed in with that little gem, Doppler...

Just another datapoint as to how screwed up the whole SCUBA business community is...

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

...and insulting potential customers IS a way to run a business? Glad you weighed in with that little gem, Doppler...

Just another datapoint as to how screwed up the whole SCUBA business community is...

Roak

Roak: I may be showing my ignorance here but not sure I understand what you mean about Scott insulting potential customers... or where you referring to someone else? Me maybe? Surely not.

For the record, I own a software business and though I do teach, have never regarded myself as part of the scuba industry. In part because it tends to follow the sort of ad hoc logic that baffles me -- and that apparantely pisses you off too.

My reference to "mindless sheep" was focused on posts like those from DIR TECH DIVER, who seems to advocate restricted trade and whitewash. He is not a potential customer. I can tell from the flavor of his posts that he has no interest in the sort of software products that my firm builds. That's a decision based on years of making cold calls and learning fast to seperate suspects from prospects.

In an earlier posting, you stated that this whole thread was a waste of time. I disagree. I started it to find out about a new product that interests me. I have found out about it and about the attitudes of a few of the people on this board. Worthwhile in my mind.

DD

David_Scarlett once bubbled...
I disagree. Firstly it would be near impossible to do with the Pioneer's circular bladder, and secondly it would probably mean the wing would have to be bigger (and more expensive?).

I agree. Closest thing I've found is the Tusa FK-11.

BTW, Scott, when are we going to get a look at these new wings? They sound interesting..... :)

At the chicago show 2 weekends ago the halycon guys stopped by the Oxycheq booth, Patrick had the lights, spools and double tank wing on display.. They did not look happy..

padiscubapro once bubbled...

At the chicago show 2 weekends ago the halycon guys stopped by the Oxycheq booth, Patrick had the lights, spools and double tank wing on display.. They did not look happy..

Nothing like a little friendly competition huh. Halcyon makes a top notch product in my opinion but you pay the price.Maybe this will force them to lower their prices now to be more competitve. I think if the oxycheq wings are as good as they say they are and if the price is right halcyon is gonna be in for some stiff competition which is something they arent used to as they have basically owned the market except for oms recently trying to step up to the plate somewhat.

lal7176 once bubbled...

Nothing like a little friendly competition huh. Halcyon makes a top notch product in my opinion but you pay the price.Maybe this will force them to lower their prices now to be more competitve. I think if the oxycheq wings are as good as they say they are and if the price is right halcyon is gonna be in for some stiff competition which is something they arent used to as they have basically owned the market except for oms recently trying to step up to the plate somewhat.
Patricks wholesale price to his lowest level dealer will be cheaper than halycon gives their "distributors"

So are there any details on this doubles wing available? I'll be purchasing a doubles wing in the next couple of months and until now, I was pretty much set on the Halcyon. If this other wing (who makes it? OxyCheq - or am I getting confused?) won't be available soon, I may wind up with the Halcyon anyway...

Doof once bubbled...
So are there any details on this doubles wing available? I'll be purchasing a doubles wing in the next couple of months and until now, I was pretty much set on the Halcyon. If this other wing (who makes it? OxyCheq - or am I getting confused?) won't be available soon, I may wind up with the Halcyon anyway...

Email oxycheq about when they are gonna release there wing http://oxycheq.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom