New wetsuit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Msr1015

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, dumb question here. Just bought a new 7mm wetsuit. Can I wear it straight out of the box or do I need to do some sort of treatment to it before I wear it?

Congrats on your new suit. Pretty soon it's going to be full of all kinds of questionable liquids and particulate matter. I'd say, don't worry about it, try that puppy on and see how it fits.

Okay! Thanks, I just didnt know if the factory had some sort of spray on it for packing purposes or what not. Just don’t want to get a rash of some sort

You have to wear it naked for a whole night to break it in, just don't pee in it while sleeping with it.

Hello, dumb question here. Just bought a new 7mm wetsuit. Can I wear it straight out of the box or do I need to do some sort of treatment to it before I wear it?
I always give my new wetsuits a good saltwater soaking. 45-60 minutes, then I let it drip dry in the sun or if It’s hot in the shade for about an hour then I repeat the saltwater soak

I always give my new wetsuits a good saltwater soaking. 45-60 minutes, then I let it drip dry in the sun or if It’s hot in the shade for about an hour then I repeat the saltwater soak

If you live inland away from the sea/ocean, is it OK to use fresh water and add table salt to it? How much salt to add?

If you live inland away from the sea/ocean, is it OK to use fresh water and add table salt to it? How much salt to add?
Just put on that 7mm suit and go on a 5 mile run. That should be enough salt! 😉

Be careful for the first 100 miles or so. Let it come up to temperature gradually, and don't be too aggressive in wet & slippery conditions. Be particularly careful if you're taking a buddy too -- the new rubber will handle differently than you may be used to, so pay extra attention when making a rapid turn or coming to a safety stop. After about 100 miles, the heat cycling & friction will have removed all the mold release compound and it should feel fine.

Oh, wait. You were asking about a wetsuit. Sorry, that's my usual response when someone asks about precautions for new motorcycle tires. Nevermind.

Just dive it and enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom