Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went back to Connie at Wet Wear, in June, to get measured for a new full suit. I stressed to her that I didn't need the new suit until late September. She's pretty busy and I knew it was going to take some time. She was done with the suit in about 3 weeks. I drove over to the shop and had my first fitting. The fit felt great, but Connie wasn't pleased with something on the back shoulder area. She chalked the suit up on the back and then I wanted her to add some pockets. So she chalked up where I wanted the pockets. 2 to 3 weeks later she called to let me know the suit was done. It took me over a month to get over to the shop for the final fitting. WOW! I don't what she did at shoulder area, but the fit is fantastic. Well done, Connie!

Why a custom wetsuit from Wet Wear? I actually read about Connie's suits on this site back in 2014. Somewhere in the thread someone mentioned having bad knees and how long leg zippers has helped with his knee issues. 27 years with FD has given me the opportunity to have 4 back surgeries, 1 surgery on my right shoulder and torn meniscus in each knee. Since my body isn't as flexible as it use to be, I needed a suit to go on easily. This one does.

My first suits were made in early 2015, a full and a shorty. With 600 dives on the full suit it was time for a new one. I will probably order a shorty in the next couple of months. I have fully abused these suits. Left them in the sun. Hung them up soaking wet. Stored them in my truck or in the bed. Accidentally drug them across a coral driveway. Pretty much everything you are not suppose to do with a wetsuit. In all that I had developed only two 1/4" holes in the armpit and right shoulder area. And only one thread in the right wrist cuff area was starting to unravel. That is a quality and durable suit.

What's the cost of a custom suit? My new suit cost me $673. My friends that are DMs and Instructors continue to buy off the rack wetsuits from our Big Box store in town. They think it is a discount store. Okay, whatever. Every year I hear them complain about the stitching coming apart. The shoulder material breaking down. Rips next to the zipper or a zipper coming apart from the suit. It doesn't fit like the last one. That would be because the suits are being made in another 3rd world country this year. By May or June they're throwing their suits in the trash. Every year they plunk down another $200 to $300 for a new suit. They are actually spending more over time than I do.
Thank you, Wetwear.com
Rick M.

Back
Top Bottom