New Video Project- Advice and Support are Greatly Appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason McAnear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Divers,

SO I am working on a project here in Roatan, Honduras and need a little advice. What do you use for color correction with a GoPro Hero2? Do you just use massive/multiple lights or fix in post? I'll be shooting with multiple Hero2 cameras. Here's a link to my project page if you're interested in supporting.
Dive Masters by Jason McAnear — Kickstarter

Thanks in Advance,
JMac

Whose housing are you using? Most of them sell a red filter as an option. Example: BlurFix

It should work to at least 60' in Roatan - on the south side probably closer to 90' since it's brighter. Below that you'll need to fix it in post or buy lights. Really shallow (above 15') remove it or it will yellow everything - and that's really hard to fix in post.

Most of them are made by UR/Pro - http://www.urprofilters.com/ although I think I read somewhere Backscatter makes their own - Backscatter Custom GoPro Underwater Housing with Glass Lens and Removable Filter Mount

If you want a massive/multiple light - here's one option: Aditech Mangrove Videocompact VC-4L6 [adi.vc-4l6] - $949.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros 4320 Lumens for under $1000. My buddy has one. Light & Motion also has their Sola 4000 lumen light out now but they're a lot more $$. http://www.uwimaging.com/sola4000v.html

Fixing in post typically adds background noise to the image - esp. in darker scenes. It's my least desirable choice. I pretty much shoot with a red filter all the time - lights in daylight aren't much use unless you're shooting macro or under something and it's too dark. Unless you have a lot of light - like a pair of the ones I listed above.

I currently have the Eye of Mine but looking to add additional cameras and tempted to go with the ne wGoPro scuba housing. Down to 30 ft. colors are still good but below that, color is degrading quick from the video I have so far. Currently using two Sealife video lights. So from what you're telling me.... red filter and lights = better than a post fix?

Thanks,
JMac

red filter OR lights - not both. I've never had good luck fixing blue in post without adding noise in dark areas. I use Vegas.
What I meant was once you're deep enough to need to remove the filter you'll either need lights or to fix it in post.

Below about 90' unless you're in a really bright area - like some of the Bahamas/Turks/Caicos where you get a good reflection off the white sand bottom the red filter will make everything too dark.

Currently using two Sealife video lights.
SL 980's? They should be bright enough. What's the light sensitivity on the GoPro?

I shot with an HDV camera off the West End a couple years ago in May with just a red filter down to about 60+ feet - to where you start to roll over and go down the wall. Worked fine except for one day when it was overcast - it was still ok but the footage was a little monotone.

SL 980's? They should be bright enough. What's the light sensitivity on the GoPro?

I shot with an HDV camera off the West End a couple years ago in May with just a red filter down to about 60+ feet - to where you start to roll over and go down the wall. Worked fine except for one day when it was overcast - it was still ok but the footage was a little monotone.

Yep, SL 980's. They do a great job but.... well.... Looking for the best possible footage (given my limited budget). We'll be shooting mostly in the West Bay/West End dive sites. I'll do a little experimenting to see what works best. Thanks for the tips!

JMac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom