New video on growth on the Mayan Rivera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tulum is on the southern edge of the "Riviera Maya" development boom. The new municipality seems to be more interested in environmental issues... although there are plans for a melacon and a pier, so that is sort of contradictory, isn't it?

Akumal is only about 15 minutes north of Tulum and it's already seen devastating effects of the Riviera Maya development. Much of the reef around Akumal is already near dead, lots of algae and minimal marine life. There are small sections that are an exception, but mostly what I see diving there now is either all brown and dead or getting choked out macro algal coverage. Near known sewage outlet points it's worst. There's also been dives where we surfaced into large brown foam patches... Where we used to get 70-80 ft viz, in the last 2 yrs it's rare to have more then about 40-50ft and the water is just about always a murky green with lots of particles rather then clear blue. A local NGO last year reported that only 40% of Akumal pueblo was connected to the new sewage treatment plant, 60% use septic tanks and direct injection. On the beach side (tourist area), 20% septic tanks, 48% wetlands treatment and the remainder is unknown.

It's easy to keep track of the marine life you see on dives there. You can spot a fish from a distance since there are few and they are highly visible against the brown reef. We used to regularly see schools of angelfish. Now if we see one of two we're excited. Snorkel tours and individual tourist snorkel in Akumal Bay, see the resident turtles and a handful of fish and leave thinking they are is a paradise and all is well, the reef is healthy, etc. 5 divers I met in a week in December said they won't bother taking the time and money for another trip there since they were so disappointed with the diving after hearing how great it was supposed to be. If I was coming here now for the first time I'd probably think the same. They do get lots of first-time divers with nothing to compare it to.

There is an environmental NGO there but they have little effectiveness (not for lack of effort or good intentions). There is no marine park of official MPA here. They're trying to have a community based MPA plan but it's been in the works since the early 90's and since it's been implemented a little over a year ago nothing has really changed except the NGO gets a cut of a lot of the activities in the main bay. Without any actual authority it's all left up to the cooperation of businesses, locals and tourists. The area is booming and tourism is the moneymaker. Tough situation. Everyone wants their piece of the pie while they can get it. The resorts that are destroying the mangroves and polluting and damaging the cenotes and the ocean are the areas biggest employers. The tourists support local dive and snorkel businesses, restaurants, beach clubs, etc. Saying, "Please" and suggesting that these businesses limit their activities and impact doesn't cut it.

Akumal...In Decline Video | Coral Reef Alliance

There are lots of areas in the world that road the tourism wave and destroyed what the tourists came to see. You would think that the Mexican government would have enough examples to look at to see what not to do that they would try harder to make the Riviera Maya an sustainable tourism success. They don't even have to look far - Cancun, Acapulco... Mexico has some of the best environmental laws in the world, they just lack the enforcement. The way I've seen things going first hand in the Riviera Maya over the past 4-5 yrs, unfortunately I'm starting to feel that they'll only start making real changes when it's too late.

That video was very well done. Is it part of a larger presentation? I would be interested in the full version if anyone has easy access to it or know where to find it.

No idea the origin of the video. Some friends got the link from someone they knew and I am just passing it along since I think its important.

Akumal is only about 15 minutes north of Tulum and it's already seen devastating effects of the Riviera Maya development. Much of the reef around Akumal is already near dead, lots of algae and minimal marine life. There are small sections that are an exception, but mostly what I see diving there now is either all brown and dead or getting choked out macro algal coverage. Near known sewage outlet points it's worst. QUOTE]

I can attest to the above comments.

Sad to see.

PH

So let me ask - what, if anything can Joe Tourist do to try and either help or at a minimum not contribute to continuing the problem?

Does staying at smaller hotels in town v the AI's south of Playa help?

Another question - Why is Akumal having such a problem with the reef dying while Playa, with clearly more development going on, having seemingly less issues? Is it a function of how they're treating sewage and waste? Current?

I certainly understand the what the video is trying to get across and am trying to get a handle on why it's happening in certain areas and what can be done to help slow and reverse the trend.

I agree with Ed, it seems like this video is part of something bigger and I'd love to know what it was so I can learn more. I love the area!

So let me ask - what, if anything can Joe Tourist do to try and either help or at a minimum not contribute to continuing the problem?

Does staying at smaller hotels in town v the AI's south of Playa help?

Another question - Why is Akumal having such a problem with the reef dying while Playa, with clearly more development going on, having seemingly less issues? Is it a function of how they're treating sewage and waste? Current?

I certainly understand the what the video is trying to get across and am trying to get a handle on why it's happening in certain areas and what can be done to help slow and reverse the trend.

I agree with Ed, it seems like this video is part of something bigger and I'd love to know what it was so I can learn more. I love the area!

The whole coast is having issues related to development. Playa enjoys a better current then some areas to its south but their reefs aren't unaffected. There is a lot of focus on the beach erosion around Playacar which is from the mangroves being ripped out when resorts and golf courses were built, and in some area the natural shoreline was altered to make nicer beaches.

YouTube - Riviera Maya OverDevelopment

Akumal's biggest problem is what they like to refer to as "water quality," which really is just a nicer way of saying sewage and runoff. 307 south of Playa down to Tulum is lined with resorts. Most of them use deep injection to dispose of their minimally (or in some cases untreated) sewage. That all goes into the aquifer and exits into the ocean. The pueblos that have grown quickly to accommodate the increasing number of workers in the area are another source. Few of those homes are hooked up to treatment plants. Some have septic (but they can be leaky and they don't get maintained), and many just inject waste right into the ground. Local NGO's in the Riviera Maya do regular "water quality" testing and continually try and push the importance of sewage treatment with government at all levels, but it's tough to get much done about it. There's battles over who's responsible for what, who has the decision making power, who pays for what, etc. Seems that just as some headway is finally made there's a change in who's in what office and they're back to the beginning. The government is allowing development that exceeds what the services in the area can adequately accommodate.

While doing research for a couple projects I worked on last year I learned that although the resort developers are supposed to provide their own sewage treatment facilities and waste management, most of them still just do the minimum and then deep inject. Or they just pay ongoing fines. They aren't supposed to rip out mangroves either but they do and then they pay a fine and that's that. Then think off all the workers moving into the area to take the jobs at the resorts. Even if a resort is one of the few who really does take their responsibility seriously that doesn't extend to the local communities.

One thing you can do is choose how and where to spend your money. Choose accommodations that have proper and effective waste management, use biodegradable cleaning products, have installed water saving and energy saving devices, etc. (Don't be fooled that just because a hotel, condo or villa is doing these things just because of their location) If you want to stay at resorts, don't be afraid to ask questions and make your choices accordingly. The more tourists who start letting management know that they look at more then the reviews of the buffet food and how many pools the resort, then the more incentive they have to get it right.

Be choosey with your dive operators and other businesses too. Spend your money with those who follow environmental best practices.

Like so many coastal resort areas in the world, profit is winning out over protection along most of the MesoAmerican reef (not just the Mexican portion of it). Let your money be your voice.

Tulum is the late comer to the areas development. I'm really hoping that the new municipality (that also includes Akumal) does a better job then Solidaridad did with the area (they have their hands full with Playa). If they get the message that tourist want to come and enjoy the unique natural wonders of the area and not see wall-to-wall resorts, damaged cenotes and dying reefs then hopefully they'll listen and not get into the same traps communities to their north have.

One thing you can do is choose how and where to spend your money. Choose accommodations that have proper and effective waste management, use biodegradable cleaning products, have installed water saving and energy saving devices, etc. (Don't be fooled that just because a hotel, condo or villa is doing these things just because of their location) If you want to stay at resorts, don't be afraid to ask questions and make your choices accordingly. The more tourists who start letting management know that they look at more then the reviews of the buffet food and how many pools the resort, then the more incentive they have to get it right.

Be choosey with your dive operators and other businesses too. Spend your money with those who follow environmental best practices.

Does a list exist of which chains or properties are typically better about maintaining the environment or better yet who are the most egregious offenders? We've stayed twice at the Riu Palace RM and some of those shots in the video of the "beach" in that area look VERY familiar. Of course we were told lack of beach was due to the hurricanes - which could be partly true.

Even if the list weren't for the Riviera Maya area exclusively getting an idea of the stance a chain has on corporate citizenship and the environment overall could help.

It is, obviously, a lovely area which is why so many people want to come there which of course is the beginning of the vicious circle, so there has to be SOME change and effect, but surely there must be ways to minimize the impact.

It seems to me that the cenotes are a big draw and keeping them usable would be in the best interests of all involved so to help do my part I'll make sure and dive cenotes whenever I'm there! :D

It seems to me that the cenotes are a big draw and keeping them usable would be in the best interests of all involved so to help do my part I'll make sure and dive cenotes whenever I'm there!
We're divers so of course it's the unique diving opportunities that take us to most destinations we choose. :wink:

Scope out general travel boards and you see pretty quickly that for a good majority of vacationers to the Riviera Maya it's an affordable package deal with a relatively short and/or non-stop flight to a newer resort offering all the features and amenities they want that attracts them to come here. They might take an excursion to see Tulum or Coba, a bit of snorkeling, maybe do snorkel or swim in a cenote as part of the excursion and go to Tulum beach for the afternoon. They have no idea what the cenotes or reefs should look like so whatever they see is great to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom