New Uwatec Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, after discussion with my LDS, I just bought the Prime console. It should be ready today along with the reg and BC. Lakes are too cold for another month or so but I should get some swimming pool time with it Saturday evening. (Local club uses the "Y" indoor pool) Although since I am a newbie, I don't know that I'll be able to compare it to much of anything else, FWIW.

Well guys...

I got an email back from the editor of Scuba Diving Magazine. They are reviewing the Uwatec Prime in their May 2005 issue. Here the editor's reponse:

We tested the Aladin Prime Wrist in the May 2005 issue. It was a testers’ choice (all the computers in this test bed were). Here’s the write-up:

In a nutshell: This Swiss-made computer boasts the lowest price among this year’s wrist-mount models. It offers a big screen and displays easy-to-read data digits. Test divers rated it good to very good for readability, but noted the narrow green-yellow-red bar graph scale for nitrogen loading is a little hard to see at depth. They found the two-button control system useful but less intuitive than most of the others tested here.
What’s really cool about it: The contoured under-casing sits smartly on the arm. The strap is super long and fits around the biggest dry suit arm.
What’s not so cool about it: The Prime Wrist has a maddening owners manual. The English portion shares space and navigation wheels with another model, further confusing matters. Technical info on the computer is minimal.
Liberal or conservative: Middle of the road.
The verdict: The Prime Wrist is a solid, no-frills computer. It takes more practice to navigate through its programs than other computers, but the low price might justify an extra dose of patience.

lock_washer:
Is anyone familiar with the new computers from Uwatec? Particullary the Aladin Tec and the Aladin Prime? Has anyone dove with them? I am thinking of purchasing one, and I would appreciate any information or wisdom?

Thanks,

lock_washer

I own an aladin tec - - - one of the best computers that I have ever owned. It's easy to maintain and very user friendly. I would recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a new computer.

JaxvilleDiver:
I own an aladin tec - - - one of the best computers that I have ever owned. It's easy to maintain and very user friendly. I would recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a new computer.[/QU

My tec is on order...It is supposed to get here this week. I leave for Aruba (Already got Dive Aruba dialed in and reserved) the 19th, and I really hope it gets here. It was supposed to be here last week...

ronnyballgame

I just bought one (Prime)about a month ago, I asked the same question here, but had no replys. Its pretty cold in CT now so I dont have much time on it but it is an easy son of a gun to use, easy read, easy download to my laptop and the logs cover everything. I think the difference between the two is the tec has guage mode.
The reason I bought was the price, I looked a couple of times trying to make up my mind and my LDS told me I better jump if I wanted one as he had orders from UWATEC to go up $100! No more promo pricing, so I bit and sure enough it did. I walked out for $289.75 now its $400 bucks, If anyone gets a handle on other prices I would love to hear from you.

I have a Prime, Its kinda nice, user replaceable batteries, Supports Nitrox, easy to see under water, Uses buttons instead of electrical sensors, Infrared instead of the annoying Memo-mouse, and comes with software so you can download info on a Palm, Pocket PC, or laptop. Real cheap and functional for the cost. It is what my SO dives with. I use a AirZ, and an underwater timer as a backup. I am going to get another prime to replace the UW timer.

Well guys...I do appreciate the feedback. Another reason why I am interested in the Aladin Tec or Prime... It will give me a chance to fit a Uwatec computer inside my Pennform console unit. (Pennform consoles...us old dogs love them and still use them). That way I can strap my Uwatec Ultra Pro to the outside holder of the unit and finally have all my gauges, watch, backup computer, slate off my wrist and on one unit.

My wife purchased the Aladin Prime. For a woman, the molded case is a quite big. She will have to use a sweatband to make it fit better. She complained quite a bit about the manual, but after a week of casual reading she's really feeling good about the computer. She's got a bunch of new gear we are taking to the pool this weekend so we'll know more after that.

I've been eyeing the Tec, primarily for the gauge mode capability and higher O2 mix capabilities. Right now I'm still torn between that and the Uwatec SmartPro wrist. One thing I don't like about the Aladins is that it appears you don't have all of the "standard" info on one screen. She said you have to bounce between a few screens. I'm not too sure about that though, but if true, it's a negative in my eyes.

I've got about 10 dives on an Aladin Prime wristmount and so far I like it. I have a Cressi Archimede that recently crapped out on me after about 200 dives so this is replacing that. In the past I have used an Oceanic Versa, UWATEC Smartcom, UWATEC Air Z Nitrox and an Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus.

The nice thing about the Aladin Prime is the size. It fits nicely on the wrist and is fairly easy to see while not being too small. The interface took me a few trys to get down but now I think I have mastered it. The instruction manual is damn near worthless though. It reads like it was written originally in Italian then translated to German then to sanskrit then back to Italian and finally into English. Basically it is damn near impossible to figure out. I just played around with a computer for a bit and got the hang of it.

I am in love with UWATECs PC software! The infrared link is easy to use and the interface is excellent.

If you're thinking about getting one I would do so. I will have to have a few more dives on it to see if I like it more than my Cressi. However, it is a damn good computer

Back
Top Bottom