New user: Dry Suit Warmth Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobbin-along

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was told how warm and toasty I would be by absolutely everyone once I converted to a dry suit. I am diving in the PNW with a 2 piece 7mm suit and was warm but I hate all the wetness and annoyances of wetsuit diving in the NW. I hork up the money for the DS and I haven't been warm yet, I have that constant cool feeling all the time and I know if I'm feeling cool, then I'm losing body heat. My instructor things I'm imagining things, but he isn't the one with the seat warmers and heater on high all the way home from diving.....

So what the heck am I doing wrong?

Base Layer-Polypro top and bottom
Mid Layer OS Systems nylon/polar fleece jumpsuit
OS Systems Nautilus bi-lam suit
Feet are polypro liner + polar fleece socks
gloves are 5mm neoprene

If you are gonna dive a suit that is a "bag" style suit, you'll have to wear something that is close to a snow suit underneath. The suit offers no insulation value at all. On the other hand, I dive a 5mil neoprene drysuit and wear a 100 weight undergarment. I dive every day in the straight of Juan de Fuca, and I come out of my suit steaming.

About feeling warmer, there is a creme called ZOSTRIX, which is like liquid heat. Rub a little, and I mean a little, in spots that you think you might want warm(lower back, or the such), and I guaratee, you'll feel warm. Warning, contains capsasin, which is the stuff that makes peppers hot, and if gotten into the wrong spots, well, lets just say....fire!!!!!

Yup, being dry doesn't automatically make you warmer. You need a proper undergarment, and in sub-50 waters you need something much more serious than fleece.

Weezle Extreme or a 400-gram Thinsulate is what you need. I do pretty well with a 200-gram Thinsulate but could definitely use a bit more warmth.

I used to dive a 400 g thinsulate undergarment in a trilam drysuit and still had that cool feeling in really cold water (40 degrees or so).

It's maybe counter intutitive tom most people but I stay much warmer in a 7mm neoprene drysuit with a pair of polypro sweats for undergarments and I don't get that cool feeling in the suit.

Yeah, the $750 to $2000+ investment in the dry suit is NOT where it ends.

I bought a Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate undergarment, and the 200g vest, and I'm really, really happy with them for diving in the Sound. Yes, I'm only good for about an hour in the water, but my friends with 400g DUI undergarments aren't any better, and they're using Argon. And my stuff has kept me warm enough to be safe through two dry suit floods now.

a couple of questions, where are you feeling cold at? I know that I have a similar suit that you have and I switch to heavy wool hiking socks (short ankle high ones & and then ones that go up to my calves over the top) and then maybe some sort of vest, sometimes it works better to move varies clothing pieces around until you see what fits. Please remember to adjust your weights accordingly also, and make sure that your dive is planned as a gear configuration dive for you and your buddy. Argon is an a consideration but there are some hazards/new things to learn that go along with it, plus more $$

Interesting, wow thanks for the feedback.
I did some layering adjustments on Sunday's dive and dropped a 3# of lead too.
So where am I still cool? mainly lower arms, lower legs, bum, and feet. I had no idea that the expression freeze my fanny of might actually come true.

So my core, head, hands were comfortable and even warm at the end of the dives this weekend which is an improvement. and my new layering system is: expedition weight base layer and merino socks. Then I donned the jumpsuit and fleece sockies.

I use rock boots which is probably part of my cold feet problem, but with all the bulk of jumpsuits, shell, and latex booties wrapped up around my ankles I cant get my usual neoprene boots zipped up.

Now here's the kicker, my husband sweats in the same getup. go figure.

As to a gear check dive. Right now that's about all we do with a few minutes of collecting golf balls that people hit into the water as practice in buoyancy control.

You might want to think about the factors that affect your body being cold, how is your blood circulation? Are you wearing clothing that may be too tight? As per your husband, everyone has a different comfort zone. You may find synthetic material is warmer then natural, but I have found that certian blends of wool work really well for me. Something you may consider is getting the OS Boots that attach to your suit, then you don't have the latex sock bunching up in your bootie, but you have to select a size that is appropriate for the climate.

Good to see you two are practicing your skills. Good Luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom