new uscg rule on renewing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work on an inland towboat and am on my 4th issue. I've never had to take any test for renewal. The pilot on my boat just renewed three weeks ago and didn't have to take a test.
maybe it's a random thing?

My kind of Doctor! Not too many here in the mid-west that know the USCG physicals stuff, let alone find a good doc that actually knows diving.

tb

Thats why you now have to go to only approved dr on the CG list.

Thats why you now have to go to only approved dr on the CG list.

What? I don't think so. Please link to this approved doctor list.

Reactions: Tug
I doubt the Coast Guard has an "approved doctor list", at least for the basic physical exam. And especially doubt they would (or could) force you to use their choice of doc. Most of us have schooled our own docs in filling out the multipage form. I schedule two appointments--first for the physical exam, second for us to lay out the paperwork on the exam "table" and fill it all out. You gotta pay the piper here.

And on the renewal tests, isn't the rule if you have enough sea time in past 5 years you don't have to take the open-book tests on seamanship and rules of the road? I, of course wouldn't know since I have a weekday office job and never enough sailing or power vessel gigs to make the quota, so always do the exam booklets.

Sorry that is second hand info. One of the guys that is trying to get his master's told me that the hold up was he had to get a DOT doctor do his physical due to many dr not knowing what is required. I just took him at his word.

Sorry that is second hand info. One of the guys that is trying to get his master's told me that the hold up was he had to get a DOT doctor do his physical due to many dr not knowing what is required. I just took him at his word.

Agreed that many doctors do not know the requirements, but the physical comes with 6 pages of instructions. I have a Nurse Practitioner perform the physical and a doctor sign it. There is no DOT doctor or an approved list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom