New Uniforms coming around the corner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awww gee no more polishing boots???? What are we turning into the Air Force? :crafty:

No more stupid berets in a combat uniform!!!

Woohoo!

Wonder what the maternity ones look like? Those always were the funniest looking and once you throw a black beret on top, fugetabout.

I'm all for a man in a uniform with a velcro closure/opening. :D

Nope, we still get to wear those crappy barrets.

I was in the 82 ABN DIV when we first got the maroon beret. Of course SF guys hated it....even though the Maroon beret internationally has been for the airborne long before the green beenie....
anyway....first day we had them in formation everyone was blinded because no bill on the front to block the sun (and those were the day you get caught wearing sunglasses...you were in deep doodoo)

so the next day we fall out for formation and one of my guys had cut the bill off his old hat and sewed it onto his beret. What a riot....even top loved it and grinned the whole time he was chewing the guys butt out.
rich

RICHinNC:
I was in the 82 ABN DIV when we first got the maroon beret.
Rich--

Boy, if you remember those days, that really dates you (before taking a look at your profile :wink: )... That would have been mid- to late-'70's, right? Who was that Chief of Staff of the Army just before that, who hated beret-wearing "elite-ism"?

Those were the days we Armor troops were trying to get authorization to wear black berets, for the same reason you cited... it was the traditional headgear for armor worldwide... though the Rangers would have argued that. Many Armor folks were wearing the black beret unofficially... along with tanker jackets. That unfortunately got squashed after a while. I still remember being at AOBC at Ft. Knox in 1977, asking the 1LT company XO why we couldn't wear black berets... His memorable exasperated words to me were, "It's *******ing...plain...and...simple! It's not authorized!"

You gotta admit, though... you 82d guys got used to that maroon beret real quick, right?

--Marek

Edit: Hey! I wrote that with an "f" and all asterisks after it... the Nanny program even asterisk-ed out the "f"! Cool!

Sung to the tune of Barry Sadler's "Ballad of the Green Beret"

Tennis shoes upon his feet,
Some folks call him Sneaky Pete
He sneaks around the woods all day
and wears that funny green beret

It's no jungle bore for me,
I've never seen a rubber tree
100 men will take the test,
while I fly home and take a rest . . .

I objected to the black beret issue until it became reality then followed the flow. I will forever keep my maroon beret, I earned it.

You can always tell who has spent time in the Airborne by the way they wear their headgear. Anybody who hasn't always seems to think it is a pizza chef's hat :eyebrow: .

Back
Top Bottom