New underwater communication and navigation device for divers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m impressed they could make a touchscreen work underwater. I wonder what the trick is; are they wearing something on their fingertips? Not really seeing what it can do that an industrial style FFM and comms can’t though. Seems like a fancy technological solution looking for a real world problem.
Is it just me or are they WAY overweighted? They were always swimming almost vertical, then they could stand around on the bottom like hardhat divers! Is that an industrial thing?

I’m impressed they could make a touchscreen work underwater. I wonder what the trick is; are they wearing something on their fingertips? Not really seeing what it can do that an industrial style FFM and comms can’t though. Seems like a fancy technological solution looking for a real world problem.
Is it just me or are they WAY overweighted? They were always swimming almost vertical, then they could stand around on the bottom like hardhat divers! Is that an industrial thing?
In the US it is only listed on the Aqualung Military & Professional site, so I assume the intended use is somewhat specialized, can only speculate what that might be. Looks like there are a couple of specialized software purchases available too. At least a couple of years old now, not brand new.

It is probably a resistive touchscreen, they use them in restaurants and industrial applications. There are basically two layers with a thin film vetween them and pressing the screen requires a firm touch that causes the two layers to contact and allow an electrical signal to pass through.

It is probably a resistive touchscreen
But the ambient pressure would squash the two layers together all over! Could the screen elements discern a finger touch of force in one spot when the whole thing is under tons of force? Capacitive technology is the other option, but the capacitance of a finger would not differ much from the seawater surrounding it. Perhaps they use a grid of light beams, and see where two of them are interrupted? Does not seem practical either, but the demo IS in very clear water...

20200730_210328.jpg

But the ambient pressure would squash the two layers together all over!

Some liquids are essentially incompressable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom