New Undergarmet Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubak

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All!
I need a new undergarment and am wondering which I should choose. I am diving a DUI CF 200 and using the fleece jumpsuit (pickle suit as some of us say)...it has served me well for the last..hmm...several years and has become thin and worn from use. I need to replace it.
Does anyone have any suggestions. I am wondering if there is something that is warmer, since I do get cold.
Thanks,
Kirsten

I tried three different things before buying my undergarment: The DUI fleece, a Weezle extreme, and the Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate garment. I found the Weezle and the DC Thinsulate much warmer than the fleece. The Weezle was hard for me to manage because of the amount of air it required to "fluff up" and stay warm -- it wasn't very warm when it was compressed. The Thinsulate garment isn't as warm as the Weezle at its best, but I have far fewer buoyancy issues with it.

None of them, unfortunately, is cheap.

scubak:
Hi All!
I need a new undergarment and am wondering which I should choose. I am diving a DUI CF 200 and using the fleece jumpsuit (pickle suit as some of us say)...it has served me well for the last..hmm...several years and has become thin and worn from use. I need to replace it.
Does anyone have any suggestions. I am wondering if there is something that is warmer, since I do get cold.
Thanks,
Kirsten

Hi Kirsten,

I have the same "pickle suit" in that lovely color of green, and still wear it from time to time during the summer. I tried the DUI 400g Thinsulate, and did not like it, as it was very stiff bunched around my legs. I now use a Weezle extreme in the winter and it is very comfortable and keeps me toasty warm. I have to add about 2 lbs when switching to the Weezle from my Polar Fleece. Weezle also has a reputation for blocking your exhaust vent when wet, but I have never had that problem with mine.

Good Luck,

Weezle's are great and I also have a couple of the USIA Exotherms. I have an Exotherm 1 and an Exotherm II both work very well and don't bunch up.

boydski:
Weezle also has a reputation for blocking your exhaust vent when wet, but I have never had that problem with mine.
Really, I hadn't heard that. I have a Weezle too and so do more than a few people I dive with and no one has ever mentioned that to me, nor have I experienced it myself. I think it is a good undergarment, especially since it retains insulation ability even when wet.

Thanks for the great suggestions...
I had been looking at the Weezel and was concerned about "fluff" for insulation properties and also weighting.
I hadn't really looked to hard at the USIA, wasn't sure if I could use those under my DUI CF 200.
I know this is the most expensive "pajamas" I buy, so I want to make sure I get a good product...
Now, where to buy...:)
I get to go shoopppiinnngg.....!!!!!
Ya Hoo!!!
K

diveborg:
Really, I hadn't heard that. I have a Weezle too and so do more than a few people I dive with and no one has ever mentioned that to me, nor have I experienced it myself. I think it is a good undergarment, especially since it retains insulation ability even when wet.

There have been a couple of incidents where wet garments blocked the exhaust valve and kept the suit from venting. This seems to more of an issue for those with cuff dumps. A couple of recent examples are posted on the deco stop, for example. (you may need to be a member to read?)

Weezle even sells a "Cuff Dump Accelerator", which we refer to as a "Weezle Squeezer" that supposedly helps prevent this. My wife wears one, and I do not, and neither of us has really had any issue with divewear.

Boydski, I didn't doubt that it might have happened to someone, just that I had not heard of it happening to anyone I know. The weezle had lots of loft, so I can see why that might happen, especially with wrist dump valves.

The weezle really is a good insulator even when wet. On a Bandito trip, a buddy did the big splash then got right back in the boat REALLY fast. Seems that last 1/4 inch of zipper does need to be closed. She did get pretty wet during the brief time she was in the water, but she just closed the zipper all the way and did the dive. She did look wet after the dive. She said she didn't get cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom